022

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖔𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖆𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕺𝖐𝖆𝖞

"ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏғ ᴜs ɪs ʟᴏsɪɴɢ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴘʀᴇᴄɪᴏᴜs ᴛᴏ ᴜs. ʟᴏsᴛ ᴏᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴜɴɪᴛɪᴇs, ʟᴏsᴛ ᴘᴏssɪʙɪʟɪᴛɪᴇs, ғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢs ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ɢᴇᴛ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ ᴍᴇᴀɴs ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴀʟɪᴠᴇ."
― Haruki Murakami

"― Haruki Murakami

No more words were exchanged as the sun began to set. "I'll keep watch first." I didn't trust that I would wake up in the morning in one piece, so I needed to get in some last-minute thoughts. There was a ledge that allowed me to look out into the forest. I wouldn't be able to see far with the darkness, but I could imagine.

"Are you sure? I don't-"

"Get some rest. You'll need it if you're going to take on the Careers." She nodded her head and then laid the thin sheet over the top of herself. Any other time I'd be ecstatic to have Clove even be anywhere near me, but this wasn't any other time. Instead, we were in the middle of the forest having to watch children die in front of our own eyes. I looked up at the sky wondering what it was like, how were they doing? I wish they could send me a message, just let me know they were okay.

The music played and then Rue's face appeared. She didn't deserve to die. Next was Dawn's face. You could tell she was made for this kind of stuff which was unusual considering where she comes from. She was a warrior, a fighter, but even the strongest people lose fights. Then it was Kreed, he had his blank face on. It was a protection, a way to keep his emotions hidden from everyone. I only hoped that Dawn and Kreed were happy up there and that they were looking after Rue for me. I could picture them as a family, I think there would be a bit of drama between who's the boss with Dawn and Rue though. It would have been a sight to see. I held my three fingers up to my mouth and kissed them before raising them up to the sky. I wanted them to know that I was sorry for allowing this to happen and that I loved them. I'm glad they aren't suffering anymore.

~

I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep, and I was unsure on if I would anytime soon. All I would see are their faces, seeing the life drain from their eyes. "You were supposed to wake me up." Clove sat down beside me on the rock and looked out into the depths of the forest. "You know, you're not a very good partner." I wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone. I was tired, both physically and mentally.

"I didn't tell you to invite me to be a part of your alliance."

"Exactly, I offered you a rare opportunity and you're taking my alliance for granted. I could have killed you back there, but no, I kept you alive." I didn't understand where all her anger was coming from, all I did was not wake her up. Right?

"Then maybe you should just kill me. It would be better off that way anyways and you're just going to kill me eventually so what's the-"

"The regulations requiring a single victor has been suspended. From now on two victors may be crowned if both originate from the same District." Two victors from the same District meant they want Cato and Clove to win. They were the only ones that benefit from the announcement. "Congratulations, you and Cato can win." I waited for the impact from the knife, but it never came.

"You are so naïve." She mumbled those words that I almost didn't catch.

"Sorry?"

"I don't want to win with Cato. I don't want to win with anyone-" Her hand landed on the side of my neck as she moved to face me. "-that isn't you." Then she leaned in.