006

𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖘

'ɪ'ᴠᴇ ʜɪᴅᴅᴇɴ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇs ɪɴ ʙᴏxᴇs ɪɴsɪᴅᴇ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀᴅ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ. sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs ɪᴛ's ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ᴡᴀʏ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴇᴀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢs'
-Alice Feeney

 sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs ɪᴛ's ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ᴡᴀʏ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴇᴀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢs'-Alice Feeney

I followed the sign that directed me towards the roof, and I was hit with a cool breeze. I was finally out of the costume and in some comfy clothes. I felt free up here. I got a clear view of the lights from the buildings and I was able to just see the outlines of all the skyscrapers in the dark sky. It reminded me of back home. We weren't fortunate enough to things like this at home. There were very few people who were able to afford a place that had bedrooms for every person in their house. Our family was one of those lucky ones to have a bedroom for everyone. Although I remember when I was younger, I had to share a room with Mateo. I'd constantly be awoken from his ear-shattering cries.

Mateo

I looked down at the pearl bracelet that I insisted stayed on during the parade. I smiled at the thought of him showing me new things to make every day. There'd be days where he showed me how to make Jewelry, paper airplanes, jam out of the berries Mother and I found. He was an intelligent young man; his knowledge shouldn't be thrown away all for the appeal of these 'Game makers'. Although I wouldn't have any doubt that he couldn't survive the Hunger Games with his vast knowledge of the outdoors. He'd have everything he needed when it came to survival but killing, he wouldn't have the heart to do that, and I wasn't sure if I would either.

Growing up, before the arguments started, my parents always told me 'if something is to go wrong, then you never fight over it. Talk it out, and if that doesn't work then leave. The problem is no longer yours if they are encouraging violence.' I'd never once laid my hands on anyone in an act of violence, but here it was either kill or be killed, and I wanted to return home to my family.

I thought back to the younger Tributes, a young boy going in the games at age thirteen and worst of all, the young girl going in at age twelve. I couldn't dare imagine what their families would feel like, having to say goodbye to their children who haven't even reached adulthood yet.

I remembered the girl from District 2. She looked like she was ready to kill and that scared me. With the smirks, she sent my way I knew she had bad intentions for me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to fend for myself. My lack of knowledge on the games will have me killed, if not in the first few minutes, then tales the first day.

I was shown a video of the previous games, Wade Rankine had won the games after smashing the boy from District 10's head in with a brick. These games were filled with nothing, but brutality and I could barely sleep thinking about what I had seen. The poor boy didn't even get a quick, painless death. Instead, it was agonizing torture, especially having to hear the screams of pain come out of the dying victim. I would be scarred for life after witnessing that video, but it's a good thing I wouldn't be alive much longer.