024

𝕿𝖊𝖗𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖇𝖑𝖞 𝖜𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝖔𝖗 𝕿𝖊𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖇𝖑𝖞 𝕽𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

"sᴏᴍᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ, ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴍᴏᴠᴇ ᴏɴ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ, ᴍᴏᴜʀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴇ ᴅᴏɴᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ɪᴛ. ᴏʀ ᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ sᴇᴇᴍ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ. ʙᴜᴛ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ... ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ. ɪ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ғɪx ɪᴛ, ᴛᴏ ғᴏʀɢᴇᴛ. ɪᴛ ᴡᴀsɴ'ᴛ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴀs ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ. ɪᴛ's ᴊᴜsᴛ...sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ. ᴀɴᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʜᴏʟᴇ, ɪ'ᴍ ᴊᴜsᴛ ғɪɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴡᴀʏs, ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴅᴀʏ, ᴏғ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪᴛ. ʀᴇsᴘᴇᴄᴛɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇ. "
― Sarah Dessen

 "― Sarah Dessen

I trailed behind Clove as she slashed as she pushed away the branches so she could walk through, every now and then she would hold them back so I wouldn't end up with a stick in the face. "The girl from 5 and Glimmer will be easy to take out, Cato will be a bit harder, but I know how he does things. He's the one we have to look out for most." It wouldn't be long until the Game makers started to get bored, and I was unsure of what was to come. They were certainly unpredictable. "If anything happens you stand behind me or far away, I don't want you getting in the way of anything." It felt strange having someone wanting to protect me, most of my life that was all I ever did.

We had spent the whole day searching for food and we were only able to find a rabbit to share between the two of us. The fire crackled whilst the ashes flew up, Clove sat off in the distance and looked deep into the forest. Night had come by quicker than you could imagine thanks to the Game makers. "What's it like in District 14?" She didn't turn around as she asked the question. "Considering none of us knew you guys existed."

"It's pretty dull. The only thing that's exciting would be the markets we have every week. Aside from that, its peaceful. Not really many people there and everyone's really nice. What about 2? I'm sure it's more interesting."

"If by interesting you mean everyone being kill hungry and desperate to be in the Games than sure. Everyone's usually training for the games and if they aren't doing that than they're doing something for the Capitol. Cato and I were close before the games, we used to train together so I know him better than anyone else." No matter what anyone said it still wouldn't change the fact that I'd prefer to live in District 14 than anywhere else. Even if was boring, it was peaceful and that was where home was.

"Oh, did you and Cato ever- Like, you know-"

"Date? No. He was a friend and that was it. Besides, I like girls if you somehow didn't pick that up." She had come over to where I was sat and laid down.

"I can't wait to get back home; we could be together for real there and maybe we could do more than kissing." I could hear the smirk in her voice as she spoke, and I once again returned to my flustered state. "That's if that is what you'd like to do."

"I-uh. Yeah- yeah." I was a stuttering mess.

"Come lay down." I stood up and awkwardly walked in her direction. I lay down a little away from her hearing her chuckle. "You're so shy." She shuffled over so she was directly next to me and I felt my face heat up. "I want to cuddle." She wrapped her arms around my waist, and I froze.

"You're awfully affectionate." I'd never expected Clove to act this way towards anyone, she seemed like she would despise any PDA. Yet here she was putting on a show for the all the cameras to see. A show for the camera. "You do mean what you say right? This isn't just for the Capitol and you actually betray me later on."

"I figured this was going to happen. Listen my mentors sent me a letter, the one that came with the sandwiches, saying that I should continue to keep up the act I had with you." Act. That's all this was to her. An act. "So that's why I screwed the paper up. What's going on between us isn't an act. I know I can't really prove that to you. I can't just buy you chocolate and flowers and tell you everything is going to be fine. The most I could do is ask you to trust me in that this isn't an act for the cameras. It's so much more than just a show." I nodded along with what she head to show that I paid attention. The whole time her hand brushed through my hair and I was surprised to see how easily she was baled to brush through it. "I know I started off hating your guts, but can you really blame me. I was jealous that you were able to live a normal life without the Games. Then I started to understand that you were going through so much more than anyone here. Everyone else knew what was to come yet you were thrown right in and expected to fend on your own. While the days kept going by, I started to think about you more and more until I concluded that I could live a normal life as long as you were in it." She used her hand to guide my face towards hers before placing a gentle kiss on my lips. This kiss wasn't like the first two, it was more passionate and filled with love.

To put all my trust in her could go terribly wrong or terribly right. Only time could tell us the answer.