019

𝕱𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖓 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖚𝖓

"ʟᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ɢᴏ ᴍᴇᴀɴs ᴛᴏ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴀ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜɪsᴛᴏʀʏ, ʙᴜᴛ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴇsᴛɪɴʏ"
― Steve Maraboli

"ʟᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ɢᴏ ᴍᴇᴀɴs ᴛᴏ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴀ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜɪsᴛᴏʀʏ, ʙᴜᴛ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴇsᴛɪɴʏ"― Steve Maraboli

Everything around me stopped. Rue's eyes glazed over as she slowly looked down. Behind her form was the boy from District 1. I looked at the spear that was now directly through Rue's stomach. "No. Rue!" I tugged on the ropes as hard as I could, trying to get out.

"I love you, Marly." Her voice was quiet, almost unable to be heard amongst the chuckling coming from behind her.

"This is so sad." His chuckles were evil.

"I love you too, Rue." She inched closer to me and I couldn't help but cry. For once I was letting out all my tears, and there was no stopping them.

"Promise me you will win." She held her pinky out towards mine, but I didn't attach my own.

"I don't want to, not without you." It surprised me how calm she was, not a single tear was let out and a small smile grew on her lips.

"Make your brother proud." With that she collapsed to the floor and all I could do was scream. Her cannon sounded loud as echoed throughout. She was gone. I screamed as loud as I could, I was already going to die.

"Great, now we wait for Clove and she can kill you." I didn't dare look the boy in his eyes as he spoke. He deserved to be in her position more than anyone right now. He killed the poor innocent girl who was nothing but nice, and that's what the game makers want.

He walked closer to Rue's body, but along the way he stopped and fell to the ground. In his back was an arrow, one that I recognized. "Dawn!" She ran out of the bushes followed by Kreed. Her gaze briefly looked at Rue's lifeless body as she came over.

I fell to the ground as Kreed used his sword to cut through the ropes and immediately crawled over to Rue. I cradled her head in my arms and cried. "I'm sorry." Her limp body lay in my arms as I cried, desperate for a response.

"Marlowe, we have to go. They will come to collect the bodies soon." Dawn was right, I knew she was but it didn't stop me from hugging Rue tighter. "We can lay her with some flowers if that makes you feel any better." I nodded my head and didn't bother to hide my tears as I stood up.

Dawn helped me place a variety of colorful flowers over the young girl. She looked at peace as she laid on the hard ground. Her eyes were shut and she had a faint smile tugged on her lips. All I wanted to do was protect her from the horror of death, and I couldn't succeed at doing it. "I love you and I'm sorry." I leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before following the two from District 13.

I looked back one last time before bowing my head her way. I felt deep sorrow for her District having to witness the death of this poor, innocent girl.