016

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕺𝖓𝖊 𝕿𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕲𝖔𝖙 𝕬𝖜𝖆𝖞

"ɪ ᴘʀᴇғᴇʀ ʟɪʙᴇʀᴛʏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴅᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ sʟᴀᴠᴇʀʏ"

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

The cannon went off late last night but I was too tired to take much notice

The cannon went off late last night but I was too tired to take much notice. I had woken up to some birds and I knew it was time to get up. I cautiously checked my surroundings to make sure I was able to get out without getting attacked, either by a Tribute or an animal. A bite from a snake or spider could be the end of me, and could you imagine how embarrassing that would be. District 14's Tribute trained hard in combat just to killed by a deadly animal. "I could really use some food right now." I hoped that my whisper would be enough for the someone to hear and gift me something, but as the time goes by nothing did show up.

I collected a few berried on the way to the river, ones I knew were safe. As I got to the river I had heard voices. I froze in placed and quickly darted behind a bush. The Careers.

They were hooting and hollering, calling out for 'the girl on fire'. No one would take them on so there was no use for the to be quiet, anyone else would fear for their lives. "There she is!" My heart stopped. I heard them running in my direction and then I saw Katniss. She ran straight past me pushing herself as fast as she could. She was hurt, I could tell by the limp she had. She wouldn't make it much longer. I watched as the Careers traced her steps. They mocked her as they chased after her, shouting and laughing at her. They ran straight past me leaving me alone, at least that's what I thought.

"District 14." Clove stayed behind whilst the other continued to run. I pushed myself further away from her only to have her take a step forward. She pulled out a knife from the variety she had strapped to her. "The number 1 target on my list." She smiled eagerly at me, twirling her knife in one hand. "I can't wait to have my way with you." She towered over me as she stood directly in front of me. I was at a disadvantage being on the ground. "But, I'm letting you run this one time. Once I deal with 12 than its over. You wont be so lucky next time." I stood up hesitantly and stared at the girl in front of me. "Go on, before I change my mind." I didn't waste any more time in staying longer as I turned around and ran away, looking behind me to see if she was following.

~

The only person I had heard died was the one from last night, so far there was noone else.I couldn't help but feel bad for Katniss she was being targeted by the Careers and I vaguely remember seeing Peeta accompanying them. Yet there wasn't any canon. She must have gotten away.

"Psst." I frantically looked around wondering where the noise came from. "Psst." It was louder this time and I had no clue where it was coming from. "Up here, silly." I looked up and perched in a tall tree with a look of amusement on her face.

"Rue? What are you doing?" I was surprised at how she managed to sneak through the trees without me noticing her.

"I was looking for food. I'm so happy I found you." She climbed down the tree before she froze. "I can trust you right?"

"Obviously, you helped me out so much." I didn't think I could be anymore clear with my alliance with the girl. I had made my mind up the second I saw her that I would never lay my hands on her in violent way. She was too innocent to be here, its a shame no one volunteered to take her place. "Where's your partner?"

"He's out by the fields. We decided to go our separate ways. Don't worry we have an alliance though." Innocence flowed with every word she spoke. It hurt me to know that she may not ever get back and if she did then she'd have to live through all the trauma.

We walked through the forest some more and then the cannon went off. "Who do you think it could be?" My hopes it was someone from District 1 or the last District 3 boy. I'd rather it them than anyone else.

"Well fingers crossed its a career, but I did see Katniss being chased after them so I'm not so sure." She cared for the girl. "I really hope it isn't." I didn't want to be the one to let her know but Katniss wouldn't last longer with that leg of hers. That's if she wasn't already dead.

"Let's go find food." We walked off through the forest and collected berries along the way.

"Who do you think will win?" There was no way to answer the question, the Careers were the obvious choice but I didn't want to ponder the idea of the child in front of me not surviving. She reminded me of Mateo in more ways than one. If she got hurt than a part of me would lose itself.

"You." I didn't want to lie, but I didn't want her to think about it anymore. So we left it at that.