005

𝕱𝖔𝖗 𝖘𝖍𝖔𝖜

'ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢᴇᴛ ᴛᴏᴏ ᴅᴇᴇᴘ, ɪᴛ ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴇxɪsᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪʀsᴛ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ'
-Jayson Engay

'ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢᴇᴛ ᴛᴏᴏ ᴅᴇᴇᴘ, ɪᴛ ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴇxɪsᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪʀsᴛ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ'-Jayson Engay

"Marlowe, this is Anika. She will be here to help you in any way possible, mainly with the clothes." Gwen shoved me in a room with a lady who appeared to be in her twenties. She looked more approachable compared to anyone else here.

"Tonight, is the tribute parade. They show you off to the world." She sat me down on a bench in front of a large round mirror. "I'm here to help you make an impression. Usually, you are dressed to do with something from your District, but this year I feel like adding some brightness to the parade. Leave them with something to remember. Have you been told about sponsors?" I nodded my head as I look at all the different products surrounding me. "Well to recap, sponsors support you in the Games. The more sponsors you have the more you are likely to get supplies when in need. If you don't have any sponsors, then you are left dead. It's going to be harder for you to achieve sponsors because you don't have a mentor to do it for you, but I will help with as much as I can. Make friends, you need to be approachable so we're going for a more friendly look."

After many hours spent applying makeup and doing my hair, I had finally got to my outfit. She wasn't wrong when she said she wanted something bright. The outfit I was to wear was a long yellow dress with frills on the bottom and the sleeves. There was a matching yellow headband that had spikes on it to represent the sun rays. The dress wasn't completely horrid, but I wasn't quite sure about the headpiece.

~

Looking around at the other tributes I was glad I had something that wasn't too bad. I gazed around at everyone talking in small groups, most likely District groups. I couldn't help but feel lonely as I was stood alone beside Anika, who stood with her head held high and a confident look on her face.

My eyes landed on the Career Districts. Both tributes from District 1 were wearing bright pink outfits with the girl wearing a funny looking headpiece. From District 2 they were wearing gold armour that made them look like warriors. The girl from District 1 turned around and caught my eyes. I watched as a smirk grew on her face before she turned around to the other three. Everyone from the small group turned around and looked my way and I instantly redirected my gaze. "We should get going." I was pulled over to a carriage where, with the assistance of Anika, I climbed upon. "Remember to smile and wave. Look friendly, it will help you in the Games."

I took a deep breath before everyone started moving. Since I was the last District, I was the last one to leave the double doors and I looked in shock at everyone that had come to watch the parade. I never in my life seen that many people before and it was certainly a sight. Everyone was dressed up in fancy clothes with over-the-top makeup.

I looked up to see that I was on camera and I hesitantly started waving at the crowd. A smile grew on my face as flowers were thrown my way. Although most of the attention was on the two in front of me, who was on fire, it was still nice to see people cheering me on. I caught one of the flowers that was thrown my way and waved in the air. The audience was loud and filled with shouts as they chanted different people's names

~

It felt like so long until we got to the end of the track where we all gathered together. "Tributes-" An older man stood at the top of the stage, so much higher up compared to us. "Tributes, we welcome you. We salute your courage and your sacrifice. And we wish you a happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour." The horses then began moving again and I was led to a room where I was easily able to spot Gwen standing beside Anika.

"That was amazing, Marlowe!" Gwen was the first to say something to me as she admired the outfit I was wearing. Maybe she could get some tips from Anika.

"It wasn't the best show, but you did get some sponsors. I'm sure of it. It's a shame Cinna's Tributes didn't burn to death out there."

I had an uncomfortable feeling like someone was watching me and when I turned around, I saw both District 2 members looking my way. The guy had an angry look on his face as he stood tall and with his arms crossed over his chest. To the left of him was Clove, she had a look of amusement as she flashed me a sly smirk. "Ignore them. Let's go upstairs."