014

𝕷𝖊𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖆𝖒𝖊𝖘 𝕭𝖊𝖌𝖎𝖓

"ᴅᴇᴀᴅ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ʀᴇᴄᴇɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴏɴᴇs ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ʀᴇɢʀᴇᴛ ɪs sᴛʀᴏɴɢᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ɢʀᴀᴛɪᴛᴜᴅᴇ."
- Anne Frank

"There will be weapons in the cornucopia, but don't go there

"There will be weapons in the cornucopia, but don't go there. The easiest way to death is running straight to the middle, so don't take the chance. Turn around and run as far as you can and gather supplies. Remember to get water." I was stuck in an elevator with Gwen as she explained the rules to me, it was just up to whether I felt like listening or not. She was sending me mixed signals and it was messing with my head, first she wanted me dead then the next she was giving me tips on how to survive. "Also, don't step off too earlier. You'll be blown to bits." How reassuring.

~

"Give me your arm." Having to listen to that same demand for every tribute was starting to annoy me and I couldn't focus on what was more important. The pain from the tracker made me wince as did most others. Across from me was Katniss and to the right of her was Clove. I was glad that she was near me. The feeling of the hovercraft rising was noticeable and it made me feel butterflies. I was one step closer to my death and I still hadn't fully digested it.

~

Anika was stood in the room as I walked in a small smile on her face. She held out the jacket to me as I walked over to her. "I know you heard Gwen." She was the first to break the silence as she zipped up my jacket. "I wanted you to know that I don't agree with anything she has to say. Yes, you were ultimately going to be the one that was in the Hunger Games but that's something to do with your parents. I was never informed why." Whether or not I could trust was completely blown away as the automated voice started counting down. Without hesitation, I pulled her in for a hug allowing myself to relax. "I believe that you are capable of winning this. Show them just how strong you really are."

"Thank you, Anika. For everything." That was all I could say as I stepped into the clear tube. I was on the last ten seconds and my nerves were rapid. I held my hand against the glass and then I felt myself rise. I watched as Anika was getting lower the higher, I went until eventually, I could no longer see her. This was it.

Every second that was spent going up through the tunnel felt like a minute. My heart was pounding loudly in my ears and my blood was rushing. I was sweating profusely, and my breathing was irregular.

The light blinded me as the hatch open at the top. A cool breeze hit me in the face, and I realized I was now outside. I looked around at everyone in a semicircle, heading towards a large building. Bags and what appears to be weapons were on the ground and I could tell I wasn't the only one nervous. I was thankful that all the Careers were across from me, so I had a better chance. To the left on me was Rue and I couldn't help but smile and give her a small nod. Four people down from the right of me were Dawn.

"10"

My heart was racing like never before.

"9"

My hands began to shake.

"8"

My eyes found Clove who was staring at me.

"7"

She smirked evilly before putting her hand up and pretending to slash her own throat.

"6"

There was a much smaller axe than the ones in the training center, lying on the ground a few feet ahead of me.

"5"

How could I ever kill someone?

"4"

I would never find out why my parents offered me for the games.

"3"

I wasn't ready.

"2"

I was going to die.

"1"

I'm sorry Mateo.

The gong sounded and everyone was off. The Hunger Games had begun, may the odds be ever in my favour.