023

𝕶𝖎𝖘𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝕷𝖎𝖋𝖊

"ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴇᴍᴏᴛɪᴏɴs ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sʟᴀᴠᴇs ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs, ᴀɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sʟᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴇᴍᴏᴛɪᴏɴs."
― Elizabeth Gilbert

"― Elizabeth Gilbert

Our lips connected in the most unexpected kiss that I ever thought would happen. Was this real? I was frozen in place as I registered what was happening. Why was she kissing me? "You're not a very good kisser." She pulled apart and that was what she said first. "Usually, you're supposed to move your lips, not stay still." She was so calm, and I so wasn't. "Don't act surprised, it was so obvious." Again, another flash of confusion.

"I vaguely remember you threatening to kill me on numerous occasions and even holding a knife to my neck. The only thing obvious was your hatred towards me and passion to ending my life." All she did was chuckle.

"Couples always tease each other." Couples?

"Does that mean that you- You know... Like-"

"Like you? Yes." I flushed a bright red. I was never good at this kind of stuff considering I had never dated anyone back home let alone had my first kiss until now. I looked down at the ground and shook my head.

"Why? How? And When?" I was in shock, to say the least. My eyes were wide, and my face was heated.

"Ever since I saw you during the countdown. Once I saw you and how terrified you where I knew I had to keep an eye on you. I was hoping by threatening you that I could chase away my feelings, but I knew I couldn't." It felt nice being able to get the privileges' of hearing her open up, she seemed mysterious. In the interviews she wasn't so open about her private life. Only answering questions if necessary. "So, what do you say about a proper kiss?" She was so confident in every word she spoke, and I envied that. While she sat with a smirk on her face, not a hint of being flustered could be seen. Whereas me, I felt hot and if she kept going on any longer, I feel like I would explode.

"Well, I-" No more words could leave my mouth as Clove had leaned over and placed her lips back onto mine. She was surprisingly slow with her movements as her hand reached up to cup my face, her thumb tracing over my skin. With my lack of kissing skills, I was concerned on if I was doing it right after deciding to mimic her actions. "Sorry, I've never done this before." I was deeply embarrassed, that much was obvious. I never imagined my first kiss being in the middle of the forest as I attempted to survive through a game of which was made to have children kill each other.

"Looks like you've got a lot to learn when we get back then."

"How are you so confident that, that is possible. Only one of us can win." I stared down at my hands and fiddled with my fingers. My anxiety was through the roof as the violent girl stared in my direction.

"Trust me, you're going to get out of this alive." I never realized how much I trusted people so easily until I was chosen as the Tribute for the Hunger Games.

"Do you know who's left?"

"The girl from 5 then Cato and Glimmer. Don't worry I will deal with everyone else. You won't have to do anything." A sigh left my lips, three more people left until I was going to have to be killed, that is if I wasn't killed along the way. At the start of the games, I was worried about dying, after all I would never see my brother again, but now that I'm here and had to witness the death of close people I was no longer afraid for my death to come. I was more prepared for it than ever.

~

Clove was sat carving a stick until it had a pointed end. We had been in silence for a little over ten minutes by now and it was getting more awkward by the minute. "You know, I never thought I'd be sat here." I looked over at her, confusion written on my face. Hadn't she trained to be here. "I mean I never thought I'd end up falling for someone in the Games. It's not like me to show emotions so you should feel special." We were interrupted by the sound of dings and a small parachute landing just a little while away from us. Clove went over to the package and revealed a note and a sandwich cut in two. She read the note before scrunching it up and throwing to the ground, shaking her head, and scoffing at it.

"What did it say?" She walked back over to me and handed me one of the slices.

"Eat your sandwich."