Chapter Two: I Love The Way You Try

Chapter Two: I Love The Way U Try

“….Like a billiard ball, which can have no relation with other entities except that of collision.”

Frederick Hart Three Servicemen

                “What is this?” I was surprised and shocked that someone took a picture of me outside of my bedroom window.

                I dismissed it as a joke. It had to be a joke. Who would do this?  Maybe my sister was messing with me. Charisse seemed to always take things too far and she was the only one that knew I thought someone was following me. I crumpled the picture up, tossed it in the garbage, and went over to one of my dressers where my diary was. This was my way of venting and talking about my day since I found it difficult to talk to my ditzy sister Charisse and nonchalant mother. I picked it up, turned to a clean page, and whipped out my pink glitter pen. The last entry was two days ago, and I wrote with my bubbly script how nervous I was about moving to a big city like Chicago and making new friends.

                I used the glittery pink pen and began to write about my day and there was definitely a lot to talk about. I wrote about everything that happened at school from the people at school to the classes to Jamanj. Especially that strange feeling I continued to have about someone watching me. I closed my diary and put it away. Then I left my bedroom and skipped down the spiral staircase to the dining room. My mom had picked out beautiful wallpaper that was the color of coffee. The granite countertops glistered due to the lack of use and the stainless steel refrigerator was fingerprint- free and fully stocked with bottled water.

                “Hey Liliana!” Charisse called from the table. She wore a pair a silky satin pajamas and her bright red hair was pulled into a tight bun. “Guess what?”

                “What?” I asked, unenthusiastically.

                “I got a date!” Charisse shot out of her chair, like a rocket, and started jumping up and down with glee. “I’m so happy! Gage Parker asked me out on a date!”

                “That’s great.” I mumbled, knowing that she always went on dates with random guys. This would be no different. Before we moved, Charisse had dated pretty much everyone that attended our high school, and it appeared she wanted to keep up that reputation here in Chicago.

                “I’m going to need you to take me to the mall.” Charisse was now smoothing out her hair and staring at her reflection in a compact mirror. “We’re going to the mall for our first date.”

                “When is this date happening?”

                “Now!”

                “Now? I guess I’ll take you.” I responded, knowing that I really did not want to leave the house. I felt that I should just go upstairs and watch a movie to avoid the possible Peeping Tom who followed me around over the course of the day.