Chapter Twenty Six: Empire State of Mine

“Perhaps there could be no joy on this planet without equal weight of pain to balance it out on some unknown scale.”

Stephenie Meyer The Host

                The sound of a loud engine creaking woke me up. A pang of pain shot up my spine as I tried to sit up and look around. I cried out as I realized that I was hurt. Where was I? I was obviously somewhere where there was a car but other than that I could not tell. My head began to ache and I couldn’t remember where I was before or how I had gotten there. My memory was a blur.

                “Hello?” I whispered. “Who are you?”

                Memories of me in my house and finding the lights off rushed back to my head. The power had gone out. Or maybe someone cut the lines.

                I jerked back and blinked my eyes twice hoping to see clearer.

                “Where am I?”

                My eyes adjusted a little bit and I could make out the shapes of a car. I was in the back sit of a car with an unknown assailant driving it. Was he or she the one that hit me with the car in the first place? All I could make out was the silhouette of the person driving.

                I was beginning to remember everything. I was hit by someone driving a car. The person sped up as I looked at the driver to make out a face and the headlights blinded me. Who was the person behind the wheel? Was it an accident that they hit me?

                “Who are you?” I repeated again.

                Why didn’t they answer me? I leaned forward and realized that my hands were tied up with some type of rope. Why did I keep ending up in situations like that?

                The pain in my head began to get worst; it was like someone was continuously hitting on a drum inside of my head. The rope that held my arms back dug into my skin and probably caused a red indentation on my arm. Who would tie me up like that?

                “Can you please untie me?” I pleaded.

                “No.” The driver stated immediately.

'               “Why not?”

                I tried to make out the voice but I could tell that they were disguising it. It was definitely a guy.

                “Why should I untie you, Liliana?” He questioned.

                That voice sounded so familiar but I couldn’t think of a name. My memory was all messed up and my head ached so much that all I wanted to do was get out of the car and go home.