Chapter Six: Gun This Town

“When you jump for joy, beware that no one moves the ground from beneath your feet.”

Stanislaw Lec

                Sweat formed above my red eyebrows. I could not believe my eyes. Jamanj had seriously lost his mind. I never thought he would go so far as to have a gun to find me. But then again I never thought that he would become so crazy as to hold my sister and Gage hostage to get to me.

                Jamanj held Gage in front of him and walked forward. He definitely had a gun. It was black and Jamanj held his finger on the trigger.

                “Why Jamanj?” I whispered out loud.

                There was a blond behind one of the cashier counters. Jamanj made his way over to the cashier while somehow managing to keep the gun out of sight. I could hear Jamanj asking the blond cashier questions.

                “Did you see two red heads walk into the store?” The insane teen boy asked.

                “No.” The cashier shrugged.

                Jamanj’s face turned red and he looked at Gage for a quick second. “Are you sure?”

                “Yes I’m sure.”

                When the guy said no again, Jamanj lost his temper and kicked a rack of clothes nearby, starling the cashier, and sending a rack of sweaters tumbling to the floor. Jamanj put the gun back in his pocket and let go of Gage. I knew this was my chance to save Gage and get out of the store. I needed a plan, and fast.

                I racked my brain for ideas as soon as I saw Jamanj walk away from Gage. He went over to another cashier and asked him the same question that he asked the blond. I had a piece of paper and a pen in my back pocket. After scribbling something down, I held the paper in my hand and watched Gage. While Jamanj was preoccupied, I knocked over a pile of shoes to get Gage’s attention. It wasn’t the best plan but I knew that I had to find a way to get Gage’s attention.

                As the shoes went tumbling over, they made a large clattering noise. Gage Parker’s green eyes locked with mine and lit up as if he instantly recognized my face but couldn’t remember my name.

                “Gage!” I shouted at him.

                The tall brunette teen looked at me as I slid a note under a pair of high heel boots and walked away to the front door. I looked back at Gage one last time to make sure he received the note. The bright sun outside greeted me on my way out, and I knew he would have read the note by now. I wrote a note saying that Gage was to meet me at Sunglass Hut after sneaking through the back entrance.

                I began speed walking and quickly punched in Charisse’s cell phone number. I pressed call right away and Charisse’s frightened frantic voice shouted on the other end.