Chapter Fifteen: My Knife Would Suck Without You

“Time has no meaning. I feel as if I have been left in the desert to die and am waiting eagerly for the vultures to begin their work and end my misery.”

Libba Bray A Great and Terrible Beauty

                I smiled as I hung up the payphone. I knew that I was so close to meeting my father so that he could get rid of Jamanj Reklats forever. Nothing could go wrong.

                Charisse and I walked back to our table in the diner. Avian sat with her arms folded and a smug look on her face. Her brown eyes darted back and forth between the other girls sitting at the table. Everyone else sat in silence averting eye contact. Avian was the first one to open her mouth and say something as she saw me and Charisse walk up to the table.

                “Well?” She questioned, raising an eyebrow.

                “Well what?” I responded.

                “Well what happened? Is your deadbeat of a father going to help us or what? I hate being here with you and your stupid friends.” Avian complained, taking a bite from her sandwich.

                “Yes he is going to help us. He told us to meet him downtown.” I smiled as Avian grunted and flipped her curly brown hair.

                “If I was him I would not help you guys.”

                My smile soon began to fade.

                “Well good thing you are not him.” Charisse cut in.

                “You two are nothing but trouble. I mean seriously? Jamanj is a psycho and it’s entirely you guys’ fault.” Avian spat as she lifted her hand and pointed to me, Gage, and Charisse. “I should not even be here. If anything happens I hope you three blame yourselves.”

                “It’s not my fault.” Gage stated.

                “Yeah it is! You broke up with his sister and he has hated you ever since! I have no reason to be here.” Avian shouted.

                “Well why don’t you just leave.” Malory insisted as she looked at Avian. “No one wants you here anyways because all you do is complain about everything. None of this is their fault! You think that they want to be chased by some crazy killer Avian?”

                “If I leave he will probably find me and kill me. I guess I have to stay here with you morons.”

                “Actually I think we should hurry up and eat. Our father is meeting us at the police station downtown and we don’t want to keep him waiting.” Charisse suggested as she ate a French fry.