Chapter Fourteen: Fog Days Are Over

“People see what they want to see when they need to.”

Libba Bray A Great and Terrible Beauty

                I continued to run after the car despite the rain water pouring down on me. The weather was getting worse and a bolt of lightning split across the sky. As I  gave up running and stared at the car speeding away, I got a perfect view of the license plates. They were from New York state.      

                “I can’t believe this.” I mumbled under my breath, trudging back in the direction of the hotel.

                Precipitation began descending on me even more. I was wet to the bone and I soon began shivering as I walked slowly inside the hotel’s front door. But now my mind was clearer. Things didn’t feel as foggy as they were before. Every detail of what had happened outside was tattooed inside my mind. There was no way that I could forget seeing Jamanj’s sister. Her long brown hair and ocean blue eyes stayed rooted in my brain. Aliana was the girl I saw and no one could tell me otherwise.

                After being caught in the rain, I felt like a bucket of ice cold water had been thrown on me. My clothes were heavy and wet, holding me down. I felt completely out of breath after running after Aliana in the car, and my shoes slid on the marble floor as I walked to the elevator.

                “What a great day I am having.” I stated, frowning after climbing into the elevator and pushing the button to the thirteenth floor.

                It seemed like a long elevator ride up and I couldn’t help but doubt my encounter with Aliana Reklats. Why would she be at the hotel we were staying at? Why would she run from me?

                I shook away the thoughts and tried to think straight. As if it would help me think straighter, I put my hands on my forehead and closed my eyes to remember what exactly happened in the past half an hour. Thinking about the morning, I remembered getting up and going to breakfast feeling a little tired and dizzy; my mind was a little foggy and clouded. I had also remembered going to breakfast and having a headache most likely because Gage continued to pester me. After that, things went downhill. I was sure that once I looked around, I saw a girl looking at us from the next table. It wasn’t just any girl, but Jamanj’s twin sister was watching us. I had scared her off and chased her outside and the girl drove away. There was no way that I imagined that.

                “Maybe I am dreaming.” I uttered, trying to convince myself that there was a reason I had seen Aliana at the hotel.

                But of course I quickly wiped away that idea. It all seemed too real to be a dream. From Aliana’s long curly hair moving in the wind as she ran away from me, to the scared look in her blue eyes as she drove away in the car, and the rubber burning smell the car made when the fast moving wheels graced the concrete as it sped away was just too real to be made up.

                “Realest dream I ever had.”