Chapter Ten: Coming Gone

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”

Buddha

                My lungs screamed for air. Water seemed to flow and conquer my airway. It was impossible to breath in air. My throat began to burn as Jamanj held my head underwater. I couldn’t believe Jamanj tried to drown me in the lake. Just when I thought I was going to die, Jamanj lifted my head out of the water while I was gasping for air, and I started coughing up water violently. My red hair clung to my face like seaweed.

                “You’re crazy!” I managed to scream in between choking up water and breathing in air. “What are you doing?”

                Then Jamanj kissed me. He forced his cold wet lips against mine. “I’m sorry Liliana, but you deserve to be punished.”

                “No.”

                I pushed him away and stumbled back a little bit. Breathing was difficult to do and air seemed to be completely sucked out from around me. I coughed again and put my hands on my head as if I was trying to keep it from falling off my shoulders. It was even more difficult to keep from falling. I was dizzy and the green trees appeared to dance around me. It felt as if someone had hollowed my head out and it was now empty and light.

                “I have to get away.” I told myself while struggling to put each foot in front of the other and walk upright.

                “Where are you going?” Jamanj questioned as he grabbed my arm and pulled me down on the grass next to him.

                “Stop it!” I screamed.

                He responded by slapping me across the face. His cold pale hand whipped me straight across my face and woke me up like a bucket of ice. I let out a whimper as I watched Jamanj. A change shifted inside of the deranged teenage boy. His face was unemotional and portrayed no remorse like before. It was as if Jamanj was a zombie in habited by an even crazier person. Jamanj had changed. He was now a different person. Those cold eyes portrayed no soul, no feeling, no compassion.

                “Leave me alone.” I muttered as I shoved him away, pushing him to the ground. “Stay away from me.”

                “Where do you think you’re going?”

                But he was too quick. Jamanj quickly recovered from the fall and jumped up to his feet. Anger spread across his face, and consumed him completely. I searched for a way to get away from him. I knew he was out for blood. Jamanj didn’t like chasing after me anymore than I liked him following me. It was only a matter of time before he snapped again and really hurt someone else.

                Then I spotted my chance. The gun that he had thrown to the ground lay in the grass waiting to help me. My eyes shifted to the shiny weapon in the grass. Quickly, I jumped toward the gun and grabbed it. If felt cold and heavy in my small hands and I wondered if I would really have to shoot Jamanj to get away. I pointed it toward Jamanj and he merely laughed at me as if I pointed a toy gun at him.