Chapter 7 - Christmas Break

The rest of term went by the same way as my first year had gone. Without Ginny as a friend, or her friends as my acquaintances, I went back to roaming the halls more than ever, using my title as prefect if anyone saw me. I avoided Malfoy at all costs, thankful he'd been next to nonexistant during meals and lessons. Secretly I wondered where he always was, though I wasn't curious enough to follow him around.

It was now Christmas time again. Lavender always went home so I normally stayed, but found myself missing mum and dad. So I boarded the Hogwarts Express to head home, taking refuge in one of the tiny bathrooms aboard the train. I know it's gross but it was better than the embarrassment of sitting in a compartment alone. It was fine as a first year who didn't know anyone, but for a sixth year who'd been at school long enough, it was frowned upon. Not even 10 minutes later, there was a pull on the door knob, followed by a knock. Whoever it was obviously didn't see the red "occupied" slot on the front of the door.

"Taken!" I shouted in a tiny voice, mocking the way the first years sounded.

"Open the door Brown," Malfoy's voice said back, a sense of urgency in it.

Put off by his expression, I opened the door to step out but was quickly pushed back inside by him.

"What the bloody hell are you doing!" I exclaimed. 

I lunged out with a fist, connecting it with his shoulder. He stumbled back before shoving me to the far corner of the tiny stall. Malfoy flawlessly slid the lock into place. He looked at me as I shrunk into my corner trying to keep as much space between us as I could. The danger gave me a boost of adrenaline and the feeling of attraction was back and getting stronger with how close he was to me at the moment.

"What do you want then, Malfoy?" I asked. He was just inches from me and I could feel the heat radiating off his body.

"Who's meeting you at the platform?" He asked in a low voice.

"What concern is it of yours?"

"Listen to me. Go straight home with your parents."

He opened the door and disappeared, leaving me wondering what that was all about. I passed the time working on some holiday homework and before I knew it the train was barreling into the station. I heard voices all through the halls. Pretending that I hadn't been hiding in the bathroom this whole time, I joined the throngs of students making their way to the various exits of the train. Scanning the crowd for my parents and twin, I saw a flash of long purple hair with white streaks through it. My eyes followed the strange hair coloring as it weaved through the crowd. It disappeared through the wall, going to the muggle world beyond.

"Hello my beautiful daughter." Mum said. I'd been too enraptured by the mysterious head of hair to realize I'd almost walked right passed them. 

After Lavender joined us, Dad led the way out to the car. He headed toward home, both he and Mum chattering on  about the changes they'd made to the house. As dad parked the car and we brought our things inside, I swore I saw the crazy hair color again. I dashed after, completely forgetting Malfoy's warning. I bolted through the front door straining my eyes for a glimpse of the hair. 

"Little Libby." I heard my name being called from upstairs. 

I followed, keeping an eye out for another flash of the hair. And I wasn't disappointed. I went into my bedroom and turned on the light. My closet door was open a few inches, my name being called from within. It would be stupid to open it, I knew that. But I couldn't help being curious. It looked so much like her...

"Aunt Sienna?" I called the name of my aunt on my fathers side. We hadn't heard from her in years but I'd recognize that violet colored hair no matter how much time passed.

I kicked the door open. It bounced off the wall and I stood gazing at my summer clothes. There was no one there. Hearing a cackle from behind me I turned to see someone I never thought I'd see in person.

Bellatrix Lestrange. Escaped murder from Azkaban and You Know Who's right hand woman. She cackled again and walked towards me, reaching out to grasp me by my hair. I screamed. 

"Lib?" Mom called from the hallway. 

Everything went black and I couldn't breathe. Pulled roughly, I thought she was killing me right there in my own little safehaven. As suddenly as it began, it stopped. Bellatrix had apparated us into the center of an open room with dozens of others surrounding us.

I looked around and noticed that every person in the room, excluding Bellatrix and a few others, were wearing skeleton masks and black cloaks. I looked from right to left, taking note of Malfoy standing with two others who could only be his parents. He looked panicked. My eyes rested on Bellatrix, she'd been watching me drink in my surroundings.

"You do not look to escape," She stated in hushed awe.

No, I was more confused about why I was here in the heart of the Death Eaters lair.  I was freaking out but didn't want her to know.

"You know why you're here?" She asked and I nodded my head, suddenly remembering the evening I'd seen Malfoy's dark mark.

With that, the room grew cold and the person I knew would appear came out of nowhere. He was every bit as terrifying as everyone speculated he was. My fear rooted me to the spot as he looked around the room at his followers, his eyes ending on me. I stared straight back, wondering if I was about to die.