Chapter Twenty

TW: Abuse, suicide, homophobic slurs

Shoto Todoroki P.O.V.

"Go ahead and tell me about it." He smiled a wide smile that closed his eyes and tilted his head to the side. I could feel the butterflies start to flutter. "I don't understand how he can act so, ok? It's obvious that he has been to hell and back and yet he can smile and make me feel things I didn't know I could feel." I looked away for a second. "Are you sure? It's a lot." "Todoroki look at me." The tone in his voice changed. I looked over with wide eyes. "If I didn't want to know something I wouldn't ask." I smiled. "A-alright"

Flashback Four year Old Todoroki; quirk reveal day.

My old man toke me to the doctors that day. He and my mom didn't get along, so they were never together. I was so excited when I was told that I had both my mother's quirk and my father's. And the amount of glee that I felt when my dad told me how excited he was for my future. I remember that he said we could even have my favorite dinner that night, cold soba, and have the whole family there, even mother. When we got home I went straight to her. "Mama, Mama! Guess what my quirk is!" She smiled and put her hand on her hip. "What is it, my little penguin?" My face lit up. "The doctor called it Half-cold Half-Hot. So I can use both yours and dads quirk! Isn't that cool?!"

Her faced dropped and she bent down and put her hand on my head, tears in her eyes and whispered. "I'm sorry Shoto." Then she pulled me into a hug and yelled. "That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you my little sweet heart!" Then my good old man walked in. "We're having soba to celebrate. Shoto how about you go play with your siblings while I talk to your mother." I smiled "Ok!" I left, but I forgot a toy in the room so I went back to go get it, but I stopped when I heard a loud slap.

"Don't you think I didn't hear you apologize to him?! Why were you doing that? He is going to think it is a burden! He is the perfect child; he will surpass All Might!" my mother was sobbing. "What if he doesn't want that! He isn't yo-" Another loud smack. "Of course it will be what he wants! It's what every child wants! He will use our quirks to their fullest and surpass him!" My mother must've given up because all I heard after that was stifled cries and sobs. And I just stood their shocked, unable to move. When the door finally opened I saw my mother on the floor holding her face and my dad standing in the door way wearing a fake smile.

"Shoto! What are you doing there? Your supposed to be playing with your siblings." He tried to pick me up, but I moved away from him. "Oh did you hear what happened in the room? It's alright, mommy and I were just playing. Isn't that right?" He turned around and looked at my mother he nodded her head. "Y-yes! Just playing." She smiled the best she could, but it was obviously painful for her to do it.

Flashback paused; Izuku P.O.V.

He stopped. His head down sobbing and shaking. "Do something you idiot! Hug him, tell him its ok! Do something. Don't just sit here." But I couldn't. After everything I still can't touch him without panicking. "Todoroki. I'm so sorry, you don't deserve that." He wiped away his tears without responding. We sat there in silence for a minute until he started telling me the rest of the story.

Flashback Shoto Todoroki P.O.V.

Mother didn't end up eating with us that night because "She wasn't feeling well." But, that was the last time for almost a year that I was with all my siblings at once. I was put in the other side of the house away from everybody, and I only got to see my mom once a week. At first it wasn't noticeable, but I don't know if I just got older and noticed or he just stopped caring. But bruises and scars and third degree burns started to cover her body. For a little over a year she was like that, in fact the last time I ever saw my mom was on my fifth birthday. Because she killed herself a week later. We had a small funeral for her, because he didn't want the public knowing that his wife killed herself. It was later reported an accident.