Chapter 20.

THE LOVE ME DUO.

Kurosaki checked the time on his wrist watch as he casually made his way towards the audition hall, where the QnA round was being held.

"I bet they are done by now," he mumbled to himself.

A group of girls exited the hall, all chatting excitedly. Kurosaki stopped to listen curiously, because he suspected them to be the auditioners.

"I've never stood up for myself in front of a casting director before," his suspicion was confirmed when he heard one of the girls squeak.

"Me too," her pal replied in an equally high pitched and excited tone, making his ears hurt. They sounded more like fangirls than actual actors.

"Yeah, me neither," he wondered why they needed to 'stand up' for themselves during a silly QnA.

Their chatter slowly died down as the small mob of juvenile teen ladies disappeared into the elevator. The audition was over, which meant that he was right on time. He was late on purpose because he didn't want to waste his time in the boring QnA round.

He started to walk inside the hall just as a curtsy to the producers and to make them believe that he did try to make it in time, but he stopped himself when he noticed a couple of girls sitting outside with grim expressions. Compared to the girls he just saw passing through, they looked pretty mature for their age.

They must be the auditioners as well, he concluded. But what's up with the grim faces? Judging from their faces, it seemed as though they were already disqualified. But how could anyone blow up the QnAs?

He knew he should get going but his curiosity got the best of him, so he brought a drink from the vending machine and settled on a chair behind those girls to observe them. One of them was very pretty and tall with dark raven hair, fair skin and a triangular face, while the other one was a bit on the short side with ginger hair and average looks.

"This blows," Moko muttered dejectedly like it was already over. "At this rate, I'm gonna be stuck in the stupid Love Me Division until the day I die."

"They were all just starved for attention," Kyoko replied in an equally gloomy tone. "Darn it, I'd be a sure thing if it was about actual talent, not that I did myself any favours during the QnA." She cringed awkwardly at the memory of how stupid she was. The concept was shining youth so they were asked to share a happy childhood memory, and she ended up replying, "Yeah, turns out all of my childhood memories were lies."

She said that because no matter how much she racked her brain, each of her happy childhood memory included Sho. And of course, I'm someone who is clueless enough to tell the truth, she scowled at herself because of her stupidity.

"I hate this," she whined. "Why couldn't I just make something cute and random to talk about." Then she looked at Moko and wondered, I know that my memories of my childhood suffocated under a pile of betrayal but what was her deal?

Moko did share a childhood memory but she made it sound like it was the worst day of her life. Both of them were so unlucky, they messed up in the QnA for crying out loud.

Kurosaki patiently sipped his drink as he waited for those girls to talk and spill the beans.

"Be honest with me," Kyoko finally broke the gloomy silence. "Halfway into the QnA, did you just kinda cave?"

Moko didn't bother to reply.

"Moko, look, if you keep this up, you're letting Erika beat you."

"Just forget about it," Moko finally said despondently. "I already know how this will turn out. I am not going to get a call back."