Chapter 4.

AN UNLUCKY ENCOUNTER.

When Kyoko woke up the next morning, the first thing she did, was to move out of that apartment. Mrs Taisho had earlier offered her a room, which was spare at Darumaya.

It was a small, tiny loft, in the attic, but that didn't matter to Kyoko because she didn't have a lot of stuff anyway. And the best thing was, that the rent was way less than her pay.

She cleaned that room and moved in her stuff, which didn't take long. Once she was settled, she called at the other two places where she worked, to let them know that she was quitting.

She grabbed her purse and the money which he had been saving for rent and went out to the shopping mall for the first time, since she had come to Tokyo.

There she bought a new designer purse, a pair of shoes and boots.

And clothes, as many as she could afford, without caring about saving some of that money for later.

At last, she went to the saloon.

.

.

.

Mrs Taisho was wondering about Kyoko's sudden change in heart. She had tried countless times, in the past year, to persuade her to move out of her apartment and be sensible. But whenever that topic was up, Kyoko always looked down and said nothing. She didn't seem interested at all. And today, out of nowhere, she came with her stuff, saying that she wanted to move in.

Mrs Taisho knew that Kyoko was hiding something big. She knew that she lived with someone in that apartment. It must be a boy, that's why she didn't wanna tell anyone. She must have had a fight with him, as she left so suddenly.

Kyoko was a bright girl with such a bubbly personality. She always dreamed of having a daughter like that. But now that Kyoko was there, she didn't know what to do to help her. The only thing she wanted was for her to be happy.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. It must be Kyoko, she thought, because it was the time of her shift. But when she opened the door, she saw that it was some other girl. She was the same age as Kyoko. But she looked completely her opposite.

She had short, cropped, ginger hair, which were so smooth, that they were glistening. Her eyes were big and beautiful. She was wearing a crop top, a knee length skirt, denim jacket and long boots. She was also carrying a designer purse. She looked like a fashionista. She was carrying a lot of shopping bags as if she just returned from the mall.

"May I help you?" Mrs Taisho asked her. She was sure that this girl had lost her way or something.

"Don't you recognise me?" That girl asked. But only after she heard her voice, she knew.

"Kyoko! Wh-What happened to you?"

"Do I really look that different that you didn't recognise me? I just cut my hair short and had it dyed."

"But your clothes?"

"Oh, yeah. You were right. Now that I don't have to worry about rent anymore, I thought I should buy something new." She smiled

"Well, come on in." Mrs Taisho smiled as well. She wasn't worried anymore. Yes, she was acting differently. But it seemed like a good difference. Because, her eyes were sparkling after shopping all day. She had never seen her like this. After pushing herself so hard for the past year, she really did deserved this break.

.

.

.

That night Kyoko completed her shift and then went straight to bed. Her new bedroom wasn't anything like her old one. It was small and cramped, but she felt oddly calm there. For the first time in a long time, she went off to sleep without thinking about Sho or her jobs.