Chapter 62.

KUON'S PROMISE.

As soon as the shoot ended, Kyoko eagerly went back to the hotel with a large cake she had baked for Hizuri. She knew she only had four more days before he left for America, and so she intended to use this time and learn as much from him as possible. The cake was a sort of a thank-you gift for all his help.

Just as she had expected, Hizuri loved the gesture, specially because she brought him something sweet. They sat on the dining where she cut herself a small slice and left the rest untouched for Hizuri. It was then he broke the news to her about his flight being preponed.

"What?" Kyoko was shocked. "You're leaving tomorrow? But why?"

"Because the business I had to attend to in Japan, it's already taken care of. So there's no point in staying." He had expected it would take much longer to persuade Kuon, but since he was getting the video tonight he didn't want to keep Julie waiting.

"That's... too bad." Disappointment clouded her face.

"Don't be sad." Hizuri smiled. "It's not like I'm never coming back. Besides, if you ever come to America, you're always welcome to stay with us. I'm sure my wife, Julie would love you." He held out his hand to her.

Gluping the lump in her throat, Kyoko shook it. "I'm so grateful to you for everything you've taught me."

"I meant the cake." He let go of her hand. "Hand me the cake. Quickly."

As she obliged and handed him the cake, Kyoko couldn't help but smile. Despite everything, she was glad he had warned up to her enough to be so casual around her.

"So, I was wondering, why did Lory put you in the Love Me Division?" He asked out of plain curiosity.

Kyoko's face darkened. This was a touchy subject for her. After some serious contemplation on how to answer, she decided to go with the truth. Specially because she didn't wanna lie to him. "I was told that in order to become a true actress, I need to love my audience. But I'm not capable of loving anyone."

"Why would you say that?" Hizuri frowned and leaned back in his chair. "Don't you ever wanna get married?"

"No. Even if I do somehow learn to love my audience, I'll never be able to love a single person to that extent. I just don't have it in me." She almost added "anymore" before she bit her tongue.

"You might wanna reconsider that. My wife Julie was the best thing that happened to me, after my son, of course." At the mention of her name, a warm smile spread across his face.

"That would be Kuon's mother, right? Tell me about her."

And Hizuri was happy to. For a while, they chatted about Juliena Hizuri, the famous model and actress. Hizuri described her as beautiful as a goddess. This time Kyoko did not doubt him, because when he told her that she had blonde hair and green eyes, Kyoko's eyes turned into wonderstruck saucers. "I would love to see her someday!" She exclaimed.

"I'm sure she would too."

As they talked, they somehow found themselves talking about Kuon again, and Hizuri's face saddened.

"I still remember the time when he was young, he used to be so cheerful. But his smile gradually faded away. I can't help but think that it's my fault," he confessed. "I was so busy building my career and trying to become a better actor that I never noticed how unhappy he was." He looked down and his fist clenched. "Both me and my wife, we loved him a lot, but if only we had paid more attention..." He let his sentence trial off. His eyes melancholic.

Kyoko couldn't bear to see him blaming himself for whatever happened to his son. After a mighty long moment of silence, she declared, "he was happy."