Chapter 1

Many many years ago, the Yoruba gods descended to earth and attempted to rule the mortal world with their godly powers and strength they built an empire. But because all the gods wanted to rule, a war started. 

Eledumare, their creator was against this, seeing how they were hell bent on ruling the mortals he let them but bounded them all with an Imule. Each gods were born into the world wearing an Oje as the sacred symbol of their Imule with Eledumare.

The war continued for several centuries but somehow, the personification of the god of thunder dethroned king Adeleke who had just managed to claim the throne from Adejumoke; the personification of the goddess Ayelala.

The people of the lands harbored great reproach for Adejoba, they saw him as the king slayer, the one who'd killed their kind and loving king. Adeleke was loved by the people for he was a gentle god who listened to the people's cries and pleas.

Adejoba was feared, too feared amongst the people they went as far as to avoid uttering the king's name at night for fear of him appearing and slaying them in their dreams. Not too many knew or saw the king's face but his reputation as the king slayer preceded him far across the kingdom and even to the rest of the gods scattered all over the earth.

There came a time when the king needed a queen. Even though the lands had the most beautiful and naturally endowed women, none wanted to be the queen. They dreaded that position as much as they'd dreaded the king.

The king noticing this ordered that all unmarried girls and women be forcefully brought to the kingdom. As girls were being torn away from their family tears of sorrows and agony filled the entire land.

The maidens were all brought to the royal palace to the king but none caught his attention. They were all too scared like chickens, a queen ought to be fierce and brave he thought but they were all the typical examples of scared and weak.

The last one of the maidens; she was last because she'd bitten off the ears of three guards in an attempt to escape and had to be chained down in the dungeons. She wasn't supposed to be brought to the king since no one would ever hope for a rabid maiden to be their queen but they feared what the king would do to them if he found out about them withholding any maiden back. And trust that the king always found out.

The maiden—though tied up was bundled into the king's court room where he sat on his throne, his legs casually rested on the throne's armrest. His head was slightly tipped back and big long dreads covered parts of his face.

The maiden being bundled in cursed and screamed profanities at the guard who wrestled to keep her balanced on his shoulders. She bucked and kicked violently, trying to drop off him.

"I swear by the gods if you do not drop me down this instant I will kill you!" She screamed.

The king's gaze turned towards the direction on the doorway when they entered, the guard pushed her off his shoulders she yelped when her back hit the cold floor.

Snarling, instantly a glowing white light engulfed her and the ropes cut loose. She rose up her feet and punched the guard with a speed too fast for even the king to keep track of.

The guard cried out when blood oozed out of his nose, his head whipped back he fell to the ground unconscious. The rabid maiden scoffed and wiped her hand off the white tunic she wore.

"You do know that killing a king's  guard is punishable by death, not to mention the use of magic by a commoner."

She jolted on her feet, now noticing the dark silhouette on the throne in the corner of the room.

Instinctively, rays of white light glowed on her fingertip and she adjusted her footing, ready to attack.

"Who are you?" She hissed.

"It's funny you ask this when you're in my palace," she heard his deep timbre voice behind her and felt his hot breath on her neck.

How had he moved so fast? She felt the aura of his magic. It was strong powerful. It's powers godlike.

"Diety!" Were the only words that escaped her lips.  

He chuckled coldly, his arms wrapped around her waist, "you do not need to worry about what I am, worry about what is about to befall you. You just killed a guard and used magic. You know the penalty for being a witch."

"I am no witch and he's not dead!" She countered, moving away from his grasp she turned to face him. Not even his eyes nor the rest of his facial features were visible as they'd been covered by his massive dreads.

"Then what are you?"

"I do not know."

"You're not an Aje and you're born with magic?" He asked, shocked. Was she also a diety? He couldn't feel the aura of her magic and she could feel his, if she was a diety then how had he not felt the presence of another diety in his kingdom?

She probably wasn't. He'd taken safety measures to keep them far away. But if peradventure she was, then maybe Eledumare gave this one no memory of what diety she was, not even he could decipher which category of them her magic fell under. Eledumare made sure the gods and goddesses were born into royal families not to peasants so there was no way she was a goddess. 

"I am not an Aje! I was born with magic, that's all I know." She contradicted.

"Then, why are you in my palace?"

"I was taken from my home and brought here by the guards to—" she paused her words and her eyes widened in realization, "—your palace?" She eyed him warily.

She still hadn't realized he was the king? Hadn't she been listening to his first words? No wonder she spoke so casually with him. He was sure she would fall to her knees like the others once she found out.

"You seem to not know your king." He lifted his hair off his face, tying it into knots behind his head. She gasped when she saw his eyes. There were rumors that the king's eyes were as red as the thunder god himself, and indeed they were true.

She was supposed to cower, she was supposed to be scared. But the hatred she'd harbored for the king slayer clouded her sense of reasoning and the magic she'd tried to retain in her palms burst forth and a sudden energy vibrated in the air.

She aimed at the king.

Channeling every single energy into that one hit. He rose his brows amused at her abrupt move. Instead of hitting him she saw darkness surround her light and extinguished it.

"Demon!" She snarled.

He burst out into an eerie laughter and she saw amusement floating in his bloody irises. 

"I am no demon. Demons are underdogs. I am the fire that burneth all." He replied dipping his hand in his pocket and strapping an amulet around her neck.