Chapter 2

Had she been too fool hardy to have attacked the king? She'd never made such reckless decision in her entire life. Now she was stuck in the depths of the palace dungeon with an amulet that had weakened her magic. The thing seemed to have stuck itself to her neck and no matter how she tried to pull, it didn't come off.

She'd thought he would behead or kill her right where she stood but instead he'd ordered his guards to lock her up then he'd claimed to be the fire diety himself.

★★★★

"Your royal highness, do I prepare her for execution?" The guard dressed in the royal tunic with his sword seathed in it's sash spoke.

The king climbed down his throne, his eyes holding seriousness. "I do not intend to stain my hands with the blood of another diety—that is, if she really is one,"

"Then, should I take her to Oba Olokun to pass judgment over her for trying to kill you?" He inquired.

"No. We both know she cannot kill me. No Osa alive can, not even Orunmila."

He gazed at the king, uttermost concern written all over his face, "but you know every diety has it's own èwó."

"Olakunle, èwó mi o ki se fun araye lati mọ, not even an unknown dormant diety can find that out,"

"But Orunmila knows."

Adejoba scoffed, his lips curling up into a scowl."And which ifa will try to inquire about it? Orunmila and I are bound by an imule."

He sighed and walked back to his throne, sitting on it. His legs splayed at the side of the chair he fiddled with the ornate crown hung beside the throne.

"What would become of the maiden?"Olakunle asked again, agitated. Adejoba was powerful but he knew not the heaviness of this matter.

He grinned coyly, "make preparations. I take my bride tomorrow."

"Eh? You have found a bride?! Who? When?" He exclaimed.

"Indeed I have. The maiden shall be my bride."

Olakunle' eyes fell as wide as saucers. He would take a diety as a bride?! That was preposterous! Not when they didn't know which diety she was.

"Joba! You do not mess with an Osa! Remember the Oje. Eledumare might decide to take away the oath that binds your life!"

"I have decided. Don't even try to convince me, tell the entire kingdom that they are welcome to attend the royal wedding. I shall also invite my lost brothers too." He said sternly.

"But–"

"—no buts! I, your king has decreed! First, we have a journey to embark on,"

★★★★

The king wore a black leather jacket that had been crafted by the most delicate of hand in the kingdom. He wore a tight fitting pant beneath it. He adorned his neck, wrists and ankles with his royal beads and his dreads was duly decorated with cowries by the royal hair dresser. Lastly, he gazed at his perfect manly features in the mirror before walking out of the palace with Olakunle who had also changed into something casual as well, ditching his sword.

Olakunle must have thought he had lost his senses but she was fierce, the kind of soul he'd wanted for a queen and most importantly, she was fearless. Either she was an Osa or not, he would have her.

When they'd gotten to the outskirts of the kingdom, Olakunle paused and gazed at him.

"Are you sure you want me to do this?" He asked.

"Do it," Joba replied nonchalantly.

Olakunle sighed before he began to channel his magic into the barrier that had protected the kingdom from the rest of the gods, when the barrier was down, they both stepped through and landed in the middle of an alley.

They turned through the alley in silence, letting their feets guide them to their destination. Once they'd come in sight of the real abomination that was modern civilization, he hailed down a cab and they both waltzed in.

Olakunle touched the driver's shoulders and whispered into his ears. The driver nodded and zoomed off.

In the next fiveteen minutes, they stopped in front of a big cafe.Stepping out of the car, Joba patted the driver through the window.

"Thanks for the free ride,"

The man nodded and sped off into the busy city. Walking to the cafe which had a closed sign on, they pulled the front door open and stepped in. Joba smiled when he saw no other person in the cafe except a man in brown suit pants, a white collard shirt and blazer. He waved at them whilst Joba stared at his clearly shaved head down to his beard, he flashed them a one thousand watt smile Joba motioned Olakunle to sit in one of the chairs.

He took graceful steps towards the man and they hugged, patting each other's back when he neared.

"Orunmila, I knew I would find you here,"

"Oren." He corrected, "that name sounds outdated. As much as you would not enjoy having me call you Sango, don't call me that. We have earthly bodies now and those names are our past,"

He loosened himself from the hug with a chuckle rumbling from his chest, "alright. I know you already know why I came to find you. I need answers."

They sat on the chair opposite eachother and Oren sighed, "just because I saw you leaving your realm doesn't mean I know why you intended to see me. Ask and I shall answer you if I know the answer."

"Search then, and see what I need answers for,"

Oren's eyes whitened completely, leaving behind no trace of black as he went into the full mode of divination. He stretched out his hand and Joba took it.

His brows furrowed and after a full minute of divination, his eyes darkened and the white faded.

"Tell me, what did you see?"

"I..I saw nothing." He replied the same moment he withdrew his hand from Joba's. He continued to gaze into his eyes as if searching for something.

Joba scoffed, "that is impossible! You see all, how can you not see?"

"I do not see because darkness lies ahead." Oren sighed.

Joba's brows creased in confusion. What was wrong with Oren? He was a god of divinity, there was nothing he couldn't see. Except he wasn't telling him everything.

"Do not use words that are far fetched with me. I know you saw something. Speak, withhold nothing from me," Joba spoke agitatedly.

Oren heaved a burdened sigh, "I know you seek answers of her."

"Is she a diety?"

"She is,"

Joba frowned.

She was,

He had various questions running through his mind, but first, he had to know what she was.

"What kind?" He asked.

"She is one of the most revered female Olokun, the personification of the most powerful goddess herself."

His eyes widened at the revelation, "Osun?!"

"Osun."

"Why? How? She was against the ruling of mortals by gods, why does she bear a mortal body? Why come back as a commoner with no memories of her old self? How did we all miss her reincarnation?"

He leaned back against the chair, having the same puzzled look on as Joba.

"I sincerely have no answers for those questions, no one can understand the ways of Osun. She's no ordinary diety." He grimaced, "do not go with your plans to marry her! You mustn't. Not after what you and Oya did."

Joba scoffed, his countenance grim, "nothing can change my mind. Not even a past I'm no longer part of can. I have decided."