Chapter 4

Rani had no clue what to do. She appreciated Prince Veer's concerns, but becoming a servant was NEVER the plan.

She was just happy because taking her father's place feels like being closer to him. She looked at her watch on her wrist and remembered the time that Ramadeer had gifted it to her. This watch meant so much to her, she had kept it safe all these years.

Now, where should Rani go? Where is downstairs? Just then, Rani saw a servant walking by. Her name tag read 'Kumud'.

Rani: "Uh, Kumud Aunty, aap mujhe bata sakh thi ho ke servants quarters kahaan hai? Ranisa ne mujhe abhi kaam par lagaya hai."

(Um, Kumud aunty, can you please tell me where the servants' quarters are? Ranisa has just given me this job.)

Kumud was a little confused. How could such a young girl be working here? Just then, Rajeshwari called Kumud's name.

Rajeshwari: "Kumud, yahaan ao."

(Kumud, come here.)

Kumud just told the girl to wait there for a moment and she rushed to serve the Queen.

Kumud: "Ji, Ranisa. Mein aapki madad kaise kar sakhthi hoon?"

(Yes, Ranisa. How can I help you.)

Rajeshwari: "Suno. Aaj se Rani Singh yahaan kaam karengi, woh Ramadeer ki beti hai. Toh tumhe usko sab dikhana parenga thaki woh jaldi se Head Servant ban sakhthi hai. Aaj ki party meh koi gharbar nhi honi chaiye. Samaj gayi?"

(Listen. From today, Rani Singh will be working here, she is Ramadeer's daughter. You will have to teach her everything so that soon she can become the Head Servant. And there shouldn't be any mistakes at today's party. Do you understand?)

Kumud quickly nodded her head.

Kumud: "Ji, Ranisa."

(Yes, Ranisa.)

Rajeshwari: "Toh jao! Mere mou kyu dekh ri ho?"

(So go! Why are you still here staring at my face?)

Kumud frantically walked away and went to the young girl.

Kumud: "Theek hai Rani, aap mere saath ao."

(Ok Rani, come with me.)

They went down a small staircase on the other side of the palace.

Kumud: "Yeh hamare Servant's Quarters hai. Yahaan aap soenge, kahenge aur aapki sari cheeze. Phir yeh kamare meh badi khaane ki dishes banate heh taaki smell upar nahi jayengi. Aaj saare servants yahaan kaam kare hai kyunki party ke liye bohot khaana banra hai. Abhi bohot kaam para hai toh meh sab theek se badme aapko samjhaungi. Abhi ke liye aap apni bag yahaan raklo aur mere saath yeh trays upar lejao."

(These are the servant's quarters. Here you will sleep, eat and do all other necessary things. Then, in this room, we make all the big food dishes so that the smell doesn't bother the palace. Today, most of the servants are working here because we need to make a lot of food for the party. There is still a lot of work left to do so I will explain everything properly later. For now, put your bag here and help me bring the food trays upstairs.)

Rani looked around at this small area. She knew that they had at least 20 servants. How did everyone stay here? It must be very difficult.

She followed Kumud into the tiny kitchen and picked up a tray.

Kumud: "Aaram se. Khaana girna nahi chaiye."

(Be careful. The food shouldn't fall.)

Rani was terrified. This plate felt super heavy. What would happen if it fell? Ranisa wanted no mistakes for the night. She slowly followed Kumud Aunty up the stairs and prayed that nothing would fall.