Chapter Four: Alex.

ALEX.

I tried not to cry as Harry told me the story about his mother. I didn't know if he was actually telling the truth, or just a really good actor.

I comforted him when he cried, because it broke my heart to see him like that. Sad, crying, lonely.

He needed someone. Any fool could see that. A friend, maybe. His sick bastard excuse for a father seems to have deprived him of that.

Maybe I could be his friend... Would he want me to be? I pretty sure he wouldn't mind. I mean, he did give me that whole speech about 'how he's not going to hurt me', and how 'he will protect me'.

I don't know whether he's telling the truth or not, but there's something telling me that I can trust him.

And the feelings.

I'm getting all these weird feelings inside when he says me name, and butterflies when he touches me. His smile is perfect, his eyes are beautiful and his unruly curls are gorgeous.

He looks about nineteen, so only a year older than me. It's such a shame, that he had to live without a mother for 9 years.

When he stops crying, I kiss his cheeks, my heartbeat speeding up as my lips hit his smooth skin.

"Sorry for bringing that up." I apologise.

"It's okay, I've done worse to you."

I frown. "Only because you don't have a choice."

He smiles his beautiful smile, and I get the sudden, but not at all surprising urge to lean in and plant my lips on his perfectly shaped ones.

It literally takes all my willpower not open my mouth and say, "you were telling the truth about protecting me, weren't you?"

He nods quickly. "Yes, of course."

"Why?"

"What?"

"Why me? There are so many girls in this... Place... And you only choose to protect me. What makes me so different?"

"Well, the most obvious difference is..."

"What?"

"You're the prettiest." He flashes me a cheeky smile.

I feel myself heat up, and decide to play along. "Oh, stop it, you're making me blush!"

He laughs loudly. "That I am." He winks.

I roll my eyes. "Seriously, though, why me?"

"I don't know." He looks like he's thinking, as if he's trying to convince himself of something. "It's just that there's something about you, I don't know what it is, but you're... Different."

"Good different or bad different?"

"Good different."

I smile, and lay down on the bed. Harry copies my actions, and we both roll over so we're facing each other.

An unwanted thought flashes through my mind.

"Where's Carrie?"

Harry's body turns to stone.

I look at him warily. "What have you done?"

"I didn't do anything."

I start to get pissed. "Then where is she?!"

He takes my hands in his and I feel electricity shoot up my arm.

"Listen to me, Alex." He pleads.