Chapter Five: HARRY & ALEX :-D

HARRY

Crap. The screaming. I totally forgot about the fact that my Dad decides to pick one unfortunate girl to torture every night.

A sudden thought strikes me.

Alex. What about when he wants to torture Alex?

I have to protect her. I'd do anything. I don't know why. I've only known her a day. But all the feelings I get only mean one thing:

I'm in love.

It's obvious. From the moment I looked into those beautiful, blazing green eyes.

"Harry..." Alex is shaking, clutching me tightly. I can't really complain about her hold on me...

"It's my father. Ignore it." I gently hold her in my arms, kissing the top of her head.

"You expect me to ignore THAT?" She demands.

"Just close your eyes." I whisper, holding her tighter.

She squeezes her eyes shut, burrowing her head in my chest.

What are we? That's what I'd like to ask her. I mean, I barely know her, and we act like more than friends half the time. Maybe it's because she sees me as someone who can protect her, and likes being close to me. She probably doesn't think of me the way I think of her.

That really hurts.

"What is he DOING?" She whimpers. "She sounds like she's being tortured."

"That's because she is." I blurt out.

Alex freezes. "Does he do that to all the girls here?"

I don't answer at first.

"Well?" She nudges me.

I nod. Don't say anything.

Alex's breathing becomes heavier. I gently rub her back.

"It happens to everyone, but I swear to God it won't happen to you."

"You don't know that." She mumbles, shaking viciously.

"I'll protect you, Ali. I'll do anything."

Did I just nickname her 'Ali'? I swear it just slipped right off my tongue.

"Ali?" She muses.

"It suits you." I smile. Maybe I'm distracting her.

"Mmm... I don't have that long left."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm going to die, Harry."

My body turns to stone. "Why do you say that?"

"Face it. You won't be here 24/7. When you're not here, something will happen to me. It will. I know it. Don't deny it."

I squeeze my eyes shut and crush her against my chest. "You will not be hurt. If it means I get injured for you, that that'll just have to be what happens."

"Yeah, but I don't want YOU to get hurt. You're stuck with me, Harry. I won't let anything happen to you. It's me and you against everyone else."

I have to smile at that. She likes me. I can tell. I mean, she wouldn't have said that if she doesn't, right?

"Me and you." I say.

"Well, actually it's you and I."

"Grammar freak."

"Maybe." She giggles.

The screams get worse, and more high pitched. Alex is trembling fiercely now.