43- Friday Night

The week went by in a blur. It was Friday night. Draco was laying in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I was next to him.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly as I saw a sorrowful look on his face as he glanced at the ceiling.

"Fine."

"What's wrong?"

"I've never felt this way before. It's your fault."

"What did I do?"

"You were born, you became my friend, and now I'm obsessed with you," he listed.

"Seems like a you problem."

He smacked me lightly in the stomach with the back of his hand and we laughed.

"I've changed my mind," I said, breaking the silence lingering between us.

"About what?"

"I want to go to the Muggle world — just to visit, of course, but there are things I want to see after we graduate."

"I'll take you wherever you want but tell me what you want to do first."

"I want to stand out of the sunroof in a Muggle car and drive down the street with music blasting. I want to run along a beach with my dog and splash around with my feet in the ocean. And I want you to come with me."

"As long as you take me to a Justin Bieber concert than I'll take you anywhere."

"You're never going to let the little first year live that down are you?"

"Never."

I laughed again and we both sat in a comfortable silence, our brains compacted with separate thoughts.

"I'm not ready," I whispered while feeling a weight being lifted dramatically off of my shoulders for expressing what I had wanted to say for the past week.

I heard him swallow hard, as if he was downing a bottle of pills all at once.

"Not ready for what exactly?"

"For literally anything; to grow up, to get with you, to move on."

He sucked in a sharp breath, this time, as if he had been stabbed multiple times in the center of his heart.

"It's not that I don't like you at all because I definitely do! It's just — well — I'm still upset over George and I don't think we should've kissed."

"I thought that was what you wanted."

"I did too, at the time. However, after he asked for a second chance you don't understand how bad I wanted to jump into his arms and forget that anything bad ever happened between us."

"What about me?"

"I like you a lot. I honestly like you so much that I hate to even have to bring this up but I don't want to keep secrets! It's simply that I don't want to start something when other things need to be finished."

"I get it, I really do." He sighed while standing up.

"Where are you going?"

"I need time."

"Malfoy, please don't go. I want to continue hanging out with you but I have to find closure with George before I think about even holding hands with you. I'm doing this so I don't hurt you in the end. Please understand," I pleaded.

"I understand. Let me know when you're ready because I've been sitting here waiting for you and I'll keep doing it."

I smiled at his understanding response. "You'll be the first to know."