Chapter 1

Jon's POV Present Day

This is going to be my first year at a boarding school, Dragon Academy. It's an American boarding school but it's in Greenland. They were going to name it Berkian Academy but that was already taken. Both schools are named after Berk and the dragons that lived on the archipelago according to myth. Do I believe this myth? Yes I do. I'm going to Dragon Academy, the said better school. My parents believe so anyway. They're sending me away so they don't have to deal with me. In case you haven't realized I'm not their biggest fan. I don't mind, they're not my biggest fans either.

My family is super rich all thanks to Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. He was supposedly the chief of Berk when the dragons disappeared, again according to myth. The last name has been passed down through generations and the money that randomly appeared. I'm on the plane on my way to Greenland, my parents have someone waiting for me on the other side to take me to the school.

So I sat on the plane in the window seat with no one next to me. I was glad because I took out the Book of Dragons that's been passed down for generations in my family from my home. I wanted to finally open it and see what's inside. It's a good thing this boarding school has ancient Norse as a language elective that I'll be taking. I plan to translate it as soon as I get my hands on the textbook. In the mean time I just look at the pictures of the dragons.

There was one particular dragon that I heard about, it's a very famous type. It's in the very back of the book and doesn't have a lot of information for me to translate unlike the others. The dragon is all black with forest green eyes, a red prosthetic tailfin, three sets of ears, a flat head, and spikes that glow blue. This dragon fascinates me the most. In some of the pictures it shows the dragon smiling a toothless grin. In others it shows the dragon in combat against a monstrous sized dragon with tusks and the spikes glowing blue. According to the myths that I believe, this was Hiccup's dragon. A Night Fury. The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. At least that's what the myth said.

"Ladies and gentlemen please close all food trays and fasten your seatbelts. We are beginning our descent into Greenland." The pilot announced over the loudspeaker.

I put the book away in my backpack, pushed up my food tray, and laid back staring at the window secretly hoping for a dragon to descend from the clouds.