Chapter 10

A/N: I dallied as long as I could on no-romance, and it's drying up really fast. Let's just get going on this one :P

     So, apparently there was going to be a ball.

     Ganondorf snorted, contemptuous. 

     Hylians never ceased to exceed their expectations of dreaming up useless ceremonies.

     This day marked his second week staying in Hyrule Castle. And a few days later, there was going to be a ball, inviting every noble around Castle Town, just because.

     And stuff him into a suit they may, but there was no way he was going to dance. No way.

     He threw open his closet door, braced himself, and peeked in.

     Were Hylians only able to produce one type of clothing? About twenty of those wastes of cloth lined his wardrobe, pretty much identical besides details so subtle they may as well not even include them. 

     What was the point of such balls anyway?

     He sighed heavily and closed it again, appreciating yet again the smooth but supple, breathable cloth of his Gerudo armor.

     Today, the Princess wanted to go out to Hyrule Field. Ganondorf could never get used to the wind blowing over the swaying grass in Hyrule Field, the way it didn't bring yet more harsh dryness, the way it was cool, soft, somewhat... calming?

     Wow. He was totally betraying the desert with such thoughts.

     Anyway, Princess Zelda was waiting for him. He had better hurry up with preparations.

     He carefully twisted his hair back into the Gerudo-styled braids. 

     Finally, for the first time in such a long time, he looked like himself, like someone he actually knew instead of a complete stranger.

     "Ah, Ganondorf." Zelda brightened slightly as he approached the gate. "Shall we get going?"

     "Remind me why we're going on this trip?" He asked drily as soon as they were out of earshot from the soldiers standing guard.

     "To familiarize you with Hyrulean terrains," she recited with apparent boredom. "And to show the general public that you are to be trusted alone with me."

     "No, I am not to be trusted alone with you." Ganondorf smirked, enjoying watching her expression change lightning fast.

     "Flip off." She rolled her eyes. "You'd better not have meant that."

     "I absolutely meant it."

     "No you didn't." 

     "Fine, I didn't mean that. But your face."

     "My face is fine." Zelda stuck her nose higher.

     "Of course it is." 

     "Well? Hyrule Field." She waved vaguely at the rolling fields sprawled out before them. "And stuff. You've seen it before. Now see it again."

     "Very nice. Very interesting." Ganondorf matched her I'm-done-with-this tone. "Ahh, bring me out on such a day to watch grass."

     "Ganondorf, please." She sighed, exasperated. "Just something random to do to pass the time."

     "Yay."

     "So. How have you enjoyed our hospitality?" Zelda prompted a while later, sitting on a branch of a big tree and swinging her feet. "I mean, aside from certain annoyances."