Chapter 16

Defenseless.

     Aria had been so close to death. She had seen it echoing in Ganondorf's over-dilated pupils, she had heard it whispering, lacing through the tones of his voice.

     And she had accepted that.

     She had even relished in it.

     What was wrong with her?

     Aria still couldn't understand why, what had changed within her. 

     All that had happened was something that she always had, engraved on her soul, had finally stepped into the light. Right?

     Then why did it bring her such pain?

     Her knives, utterly useless now. Her mind, ravaged beyond recognition. When she looked into the mirror, she couldn't see herself.

     Was she too weak to comprehend all of this mess?

     Aria thought the Triforce of Courage was supposed to bring light, peace. Instead, memory upon terrible memory were dumped on her shoulders, along with a quest that she... just couldn't complete. 

     Ganondorf. 

     Wouldn't be her first kill, would it?

     But no less horrifying. 

     He had spared her life. Even more than that, he had taken notice of her, had spent time with her, just like Zelda had.

     How could she kill him, look him in the eye, and watch crimson blood spurt out of his body?

     And this would be her downfall. She knew that. 

     If she wasn't strong enough to kill Ganondorf, then what was her purpose in Hyrule?

     It hurt. So. Much. Her mind couldn't take all of this strain, she knew.

     Have to stay strong. Don't even touch those memories. Don't think about it at all. Just keep your smile on, your head up. People depend on you now.

     She wasn't the youngest. The Hero of Winds was, at age nine. Wasn't the most tragic. That would be either the Hero of Time or the Wild, forgotten and forgetting. There was no point in wallowing in self-pity. Dust off and move on.

     Re-learn how to use a sword, even though she had vowed to herself never to touch a sword again. And somehow save the universe.

     There was Zelda, stepping into the Knight's Training Room. She didn't want to talk to Zelda. Just wanted to be alone for a bit.

     "Aria?" How did she end up on the floor? Well, Zelda rushed to her, and took her in her arms. "How are you? Feeling okay?"

     She opened her eyes and scanned Zelda's face. Why did she look so unsettled? 

     Something must have happened before she came here. She sighed and closed her eyes again.

     "I'm fine." She murmured. "Wanna sleep."

     Aria was curled into Zelda, burying her face into her shirt. It smelt nice.

     "You're still not well." She scolded. "You shouldn't be out of the Infirmary."

     "I can't remember how to use my knives." Her voice was suddenly a bit more high-pitched. "I'm scared. I know I should use a sword now, but I... can't. Can't use swords."

     "Shh... it's okay, Aria." She bent protectively over the small girl. "You're safe."

     Her temperature was shooting up again. Worry pressed down on Zelda's throat.