Chapter 17

A/N: The chapter you have all been waiting for. Oh boy, here we go!

     The next week was pure bliss. 

     Zelda and Ganondorf stole every moment they possibly could, squeezed through their schedules, to frolic freely in the fields, to read leaning into each other in either of their rooms, to attempt to make sense of the reports flooding into Zelda's office and ending up laughing so hard they couldn't hope to understand anything.

     But Ganondorf's departure, the date she had looked so forwards to a mere two weeks ago, was now looming on the horizon, hanging over their heads as the day of permanent separation. Zelda was determined not to remind them of it, taking their attention away from the dreaded day, yet she couldn't not think of it.

     She wouldn't let it ruin these precious time with him, though.

     "I'm about to lose my Hyliadamnt mind." She growled to him one day, right after a field survey that took most of the day. They were alone, slowly making their way back to the Castle. "When would they stop giving nonsense answers that they know very well doesn't help my cause here at all?"

     He draped an arm over her shoulder. She relaxed slightly at his casual touch. "You've gotta stop caring so much what they think of you. Because I know you do. People would do as people did, and whatever you do won't change that."

     Zelda sighed wearily. "I know you're right, but it's so hard. I just wanna be a good ruler."

     "And you are." He inclined his head. "You are so close to getting people to fully believe in me, in us. So close to single-handedly restoring peace to the entirety of Hyrule. That's plenty if you ask me, Zelda."

     She playfully shoved him. "I'm not asking you."

     "I'm inserting my opinion anyway." He shoved her back. 

     "As you would." She smiled. 

     Zelda couldn't help but fear that they were rushing things, trying to get as much as possible from their limited time. But she couldn't ask for more, the scraps of sweet time they chipped away at from their day. 

     And only once, had she lost her head completely and turned her back on reason for clouded judgement. She promised herself that it would never happen again, but a heavy stone of foreboding had settled permanently in her throat.

     (Yes, you are correct. :D)

     Well, that hardly mattered at this point. It was the afternoon before Ganondorf was to leave for his town.

     They were sitting quietly in Zelda's room, his arms wrapped around Zelda, her sitting between his crossed legs, just enjoying each other's company. 

     Sunlight was pouring into the room, reaching down to their skin, bringing with it the smell of the outdoors, the feeling of serenity.

     "...You'd better take good care of Aria for me." Ganondorf broke the silence, bending down to let his lips brush her hairline. 

     She laughed, leaning back. "That goes without saying."

     "And don't explode in court. If you explode, I'll be sad, and you don't wanna make me sad."

     "Of course not." She bit down a smile and arranged her face to be mockingly serious.

     "Make sure not to kill anyone, and don't demolish any furniture, okay?" He adjusted his arms so that he held her tighter.

     "Noted. But that would be pretty hard."

     "Being a ruler is hard, but you have to have as much faith in yourself as I have you."