Chapter 27

Four years of war.

     (Because I don't know what to write for third year lol)

     Link shrank back against the wall, shaking slightly. The shadows of a gang of children swarmed over his form, unnaturally small for a four year old. 

     "Hey there, demon eyes." The biggest and loudest of the group stepped forwards. "Your mom here or had she dumped you again?"

     Link kept his mouth shut. He wouldn't give them the satisfaction.

     "'Doing business'." He sneered, and a gale of laughter rose into the air. "What business is she doing, midget? Oh, I know! Why else would she have a kid so young?"

     They laughed again, and despite his self restraint, he felt a surge of anger rise in him.

     "No." He murmured, shaking now not because of fear, but of rage. She's only saving the world. "Don't. You dare. Talk about Aria like that."

     "HA!" The boy slapped his knee, then sang. "Mr. Punchbag here is defensive!"

     "Let's see how good he can defend against this!" A girl called out from the small crowd.

     Link closed his eyes, sighing to himself.

     Why did this always happen to him? 

     Twang!

     Before they could throw a punch at him, an arrow landed so close to the boy about to hit him that Link could see his hair whipped by the breeze of the arrow. He jumped, dread landing deep into his stomach. 

     The crowd parted, screaming in panic, and he could finally see her.

     Aria had the smuggest smirk on her face as she sheathed her bow, then sauntered over the rapidly dissipating mass of children to pluck the arrow out of the wall, sliding it smoothly back to her quiver.

     "You shouldn't have done that." Link frowned. "You know I can take care of myself."

     "Couldn't resist." She shrugged nonchalantly, grinning widely. "Did you see the big one's face?" 

     "This doesn't help with your questionable reputation among the townsfolk." He persisted as they walked home together through Hateno Village. "They already think you're either savage, or... stuff. Even the kids catch onto the rumors. And shooting an arrow at them did not make anything better. You just barely missed his head!"

     "I hit exactly where I meant to hit." Aria didn't seem to care at all. "Honestly, Link, you sound just like Z-- well, never mind."

     "That wasn't wise, though. You can't deny that."

     "Haven't got much of wisdom." Aria twirled a knife. "It's courage for me. Courage to make rash decisions, and courage to get myself out of the consequences these rash decisions get me into by making more rash decisions."

     Link snorted softly, but didn't reply.

     That night, Link woke screaming.

     Picture after picture crowded his head, the edges sharp, slicing across his head. 

     His bones were on fire, lava running through his veins, burning and ice cold at the same time.

     Footsteps raced towards him, padding on the tiles. Link barely heard it, swallowed in agony.

     "Look at me." Aria commanded, tilting his face up to look into his feverish eyes.

     The moment their gazes connected, something awakened within him.