Episode 1

"Thousand Eyes", Of Monsters and Men

For centuries, I have tried to stay away from other supernatural creatures, especially from vampires whom I thought, rightfully, that I could not trust. I sought the company mostly of my own, except for humans, of course. We are but a few now, immortals, wandering around and trying to understand what our purpose is in this strange life.

I am not the oldest one, but I am old enough for sure. I do not really remember how old I am, though, I must say. My childhood was too long ago and the perception of time was different back then. Besides, the lack of a family did not help in this matter. But this is too long a story to tell for now.

I witnessed parts of History, and sometimes I even participated. Times have changed so much that I often feel that I have been several different persons over the course of my existence. It is not easy to adapt and to see everyone and everything that you know disappear. I feel sometimes that my memories fade away with the ruins of the homes I have lost. Some things are not as clear in my mind now as they used to be, as if I dreamt them. Maybe I did.

In 2017, I had been in Paris for a few years. It has always been a favorite of mine. Nothing seems to completely eradicate its magic. Even with modern life, there is still the spark that I have always felt walking by the Seine.

I had chosen an apartment in the 6th district. It was new, actually. Not like many of the properties I sort of collected over the years, including a mansion I own not far from this part of the city. But this apartment, I fell instantly in love with: in an old building, near Odéon, in one of those small and quiet streets near the river. It occupied the two highest stories of the building, which I had completely rearranged. From my windows, I could see the beautiful roofs and the light of dawn. I liked the wooden floor and the old mirrors on the walls.

But this place, like the others, was already filled with ghosts. The memories of endless conversations while listening to every kind of music you can imagine. You see, I had recently lost a dear friend of mine. We had only a few years together because he was human. He had passed away after a long disease. I wanted to remember every moment of joy in his life, his sense of humor, and his inner light. But I was overwhelmed by sadness. You do not get used to loss. At least, I do not. I was spending most nights at my club, barely talking to anyone.

I thought about dying a few times in my life. I wondered why I kept trying to survive when so many incredible people were doomed to disappear in the blink of an eye. Who was I to deserve this eternity?

That night, I sang at my club and the music overwhelmed me. I had opened too deeply my heart in those notes, and despair began to enclose me in the prison of my mind. On my way home, I felt like the streets around me were another dimension. I could not hear or see clearly.

And then, I saw a painting, hung on a rack in a crowded square. Its black was the exact color of my pain. But the texture of the paint gave an impression of light, here and there. At this moment I wavered.

I saw the painter. He seemed like a young man with dark blue eyes, but he was not. I could feel it. He was a vampire. I knew he understood what forever could mean. Suddenly, I did not feel as lonely any longer. I heard the conversations of the people around me and I felt better. Just like that.

I do not really remember what happened next. I had to come home. I could not go and talk to this man. It had been simply too intense an encounter to be able to say anything. So I think I ran back home and had a glass of wine. It could have been the end, but it was a beginning.

***

You can find on YouTube a recording of a live reading I've done of the 5 first chapters. Link in the comments.

 Link in the comments