Saturday Night At The Pearl, Volume 1. Episode 6A

Lucas' playlist : "Feel It Still", Portugal. The Man

The Pearl was packed and the line at the entrance was still very long. Patrick, our guardian of the temple, decided who could enter and who could not. Inside, I was enjoying the party for the first time in a long time. I had suggested to Anna that we renewed a tradition which we had lost for a while, the Saturday Night Challenge: anyone could put the name of a song in a jar and at 2 AM I, or sometimes one of my guests, had to sing that song. The jar was already quite full.

People were dancing everywhere, including on the stage, and neon lights were reflected on the mirrors behind the bar. Anna's brother had been very shy when I had met him. He had just said a word or two and he was almost hiding behind his hair. But the moment he started his set, he was a different person. You felt drawn to his energy, his passion for the music and his commitment to make everyone happy. I must say it worked perfectly. At the third song, Anna and I were already dancing on the counter and I could even see Patrick slightly moving his shoulders on the beat.

When I took the microphone at 2 AM, the energy was at its peak. "So, I have seen that you do not lack suggestions for the Saturday Night Challenge. I cannot wait to know what terrible ideas you have prepared for me. Anna dear, would you be the innocent hand ? Yes, no comment. Can you choose a paper in the jar, please ?"

Anna, seated on the bar, searched the jar very ceremoniously and raised the winning proposition. I came closer to read it. "Oh, tonight, for the great return of this challenge, I must say you have surpassed yourselves. So this is Adrien's suggestion. Thank you, Adrien. (Everyone repeated after me : "Thank you, Adrien.") Alright, let's do this."

I gave the paper to Lucas, he laughed and queued the music, none other than the timeless classic "Oops!... I did it again" by Britney Spears. Everyone was cheering and clapping. I must say that I was not the only one to know the choreography in the room and even if the performance started on stage, at the second chorus, I had recruited backup dancers, including said Adrien, and we were occupying the dancefloor.

After that, I could see that Lucas was more comfortable with me. He came to me, after his set: "So how old are you?"

"Lucas! You cannot ask that!" Anna said, rolling her eyes.

"It is quite alright. After all, it is a legitimate question in my case. I am more or less 2060 years old."

"You're 2060 years old and you know the "Oops!... I did it again" choreo?"

"Well, who doesn't? And obviously I was there in 2000. It gives me a considerable advantage."

Lucas laughed. He was obviously thinking that I was very weird but I could see that he liked it. "So, basically, you're Duncan MacLeod," he said.

"Absolutely not. We do not have sword fights."

"Actually...," Anna interrupted.

"Right. To be fair, we sometimes do. But I mean, it has nothing to do with a quickening of any kind. It just happened because a group of old fashioned immortals had this moronic goal of world domination. It is a long story."

"Yeah... same difference."

I was going to elaborate on that point and to explain a few things to Lucas but I felt a change in the atmosphere of the club. A group of supernatural creatures had just entered. I turned my head and saw that Patrick had been pushed aside.

 I turned my head and saw that Patrick had been pushed aside