Mike- Best part of the day

Short A/N: So Mike's for El and Finn's for Els? 🥺💖

I'm honestly slightly crushed 'cause I've got deadass feelings for Finn but I am a sucker for his happiness. Els is cool and I'm sure she's a great person.

So if he and Elsie are really dating, I'm always, always down to support. Anything for Finn's happiness 💖

Anyways, lezz gaw!

Mike

It's been four years since El dumped my ass for a guy who was like her- special. He too, managed to escape from the lab and Dr. Brenner. I got to know him. He even stayed here in our basement. At the time they spent here, I felt invisible to El. Like whatever we had gone through meant nothing to her at all.

They had so much in common. I guess she found the right person and that clearly isn't me. He could protect her. I couldn't. I think It's about time I move on. 

I've been feeling so depressed lately. I get mad often. I rarely go out so my friends come here instead. I haven't cut my hair for quite awhile now. I got a call from my grandma saying that the daughter of our new neighbor wanted to come over. We were going to be classmates so mom insisted that I'd partner up with her for our work immersion.

Great. Now, I've got to finish a project with a stranger and deal with another headache.

The doorbell rang and there she was- Y/n, the person with the most annoying neighbor ever.

"Hey." She says.

"Hey." I replied out of courtesy.

"I'm Y/n. Nice meeting you, Mike."

"Yeah, you too. Come in."

I see my mom smiling triumphantly at a corner not far from us, as though she was successful in getting me out of my depression cave. Ugh.

"So this is uh, our basement."

"We can mess it all up. You can go touch everything here just not that bed over there."

"Because that's El's?"

"Yes! Wait- how do you know El?"

"Your grandma says you're still hung up on her."

"W-well, just forget about it."

"You forget about it. Look at you, Mike. You're a mess."

"Don't mind me. I'll get over it soon. Let's just get this project over with."

"O-kaaay." She nonchalantly walks out of the basement to take the tools, motor engines, and metal parts to assemble our invention which was technically my plan.

Y/n was adept with concepts on nanotechnology, nonlinear, and quantum optics which was great because that's exactly what I needed. I planned to make a portable solid-state laser machine that could cut or repair tissues and help in performing minor surgeries on the battlefield. Y/n's cutout for the job.

As I was screwing in some of the parts, my hair was blocking out of the way.

"Ugh! Why is this so- fuck!!!" I violently slammed the screw driver on the floor and ran my fingers through my hair in anger and frustration.

She was right. I'm a mess.

"Hey. Mike. You're going to be alright. Can I do something to fix you up?" She dropped her tools and stood up to come up to me, hesitating to pat my back.

"I doubt there is but please do try. I think need help." I sighed heavily. I miss El so much and it's breaking me. I need someone to pull me out of this misery.

"Okay. Stand up, Mike." I stood up.

"Wait here." She took one of my favorite records lying around the table and played it, patted one of the couches, went up, and asked my mom for new bed sheets and a comb. I sat there as confused as ever.

"Let's take a break. You need it. Bad. Come over here."

I moved closer, still looking weirded out. She stood behind the couch, asked if it was okay, and gently combed out the tangles out of my hair and tied it into a neat man bun with some tendrils of my hair still hanging on the side of my face. This was the very first time someone other than my mom, did this for me.

"There. Better."  She smiled and looked at me for 2 seconds long then cleared her throat, blinking away. She probably noticed that I kinda felt embarrassed.

Someone came knocking at the basement door. It was Mike's grandma. She brought us cookies and some orange juice. Y/n asked me to escort grandma up the stairs so she could take care of some things. Grandma and I had quite a long chat to catch up. I reassured her that I'll do fine, without El. I'll try.

As soon as I got back to the basement, everything's changed- in a good way. Whatever was scattered were tidied up. The floor and the tables were clean, as well as the couches. Y/n changed the beddings on El's bed and I found her dead tired, sleeping on the floor beside it.

I know I told y/n not to touch El's bed but this is my bed now. It's just me and myself again. I didn't want to wake y/n up so I carried her up the bed. My dumb ass didn't look so I accidentally bumped her head on the side frame of the bed and dropped her 

"Oww- Oh hey. You're back. Please don't get mad. I hope you like what I did to the place. I thought you needed a fresh start."

"Yeah. I think I do need one too. Can you please help me?" I broke down. I couldn't help it anymore.

Y/n hugged me. It was the most comfort I've ever felt since my last breakup. It felt so.... freeing.

"I'm here, Mike. I can't bring El back or be El. But I'm here. I may not be what you want but I'll try my best to be what you need. I'll try."

Ever since, y/n came by every day trying to make my days a little better. She stayed- continued to hold me up, make me smile, and feel whole again even after the science project.

She came by almost every day until seeing her became the best part of my day.