Happy Birthday!

Johnny was much better when he woke up. I took his stitches out and examined his scar. It was still kind of scabbed over but it was still much better. The gang all pretend that it was a normal day instead of Johnny's birthday. He'd never had a surprise party so I decided to throw one. Darry cooked eggs and bacon for breakfast cause it's one of Johnny's favorites. we all ate it up like we hadn't eaten in years. We all thanked Darry and went back to doing our own things. I'd bought Johnny frames and put the sketches in them and then bought him a new blade. I couldn't wait to see his face.

It was finally 12:15 and the gang had to get the house ready for the party. "Johnny, take a walk with me?" I asked.

He looked up slowly, smiled and said, "Sure." I winked at Two-bit on our way out so he knew to start preparing. We started walking around and Johnny seemed pretty bummed out. I was pretty sure it was because he thinks we forgot his birthday. But it was March 1st so I had it plastered into my head that the first of March was all about him. I smiled to myself at the thought of his party. "What ya smiling about?" Johnny asked and I figured I'd milk the "forgot your birthday" thing.

"I just remembered," I started. "Today is a very special day." His face brightened up once he heard that.