Chapter Seven: The Island of Draga

A burst of mist breaks away from the waves lapping against the ship and sprays my face. I shake the droplets out of my hair and gaze out over the horizon. I see no walls, no towering lookout posts slicing through an endless view of dark blue. The sun rises higher and higher, the glowing sphere banishing the darkness away with strokes of orange, pink, and red. I sigh as I try to memorize the sight before me so I can capture it in paint later.

Sailors busy themselves with whatever it is they do behind me. After about two days of sailing, we're supposed to arrive today. Everyone is busy this morning, hustling and bustling about and I'm glad. I don't have to answer numerous questions about how I am, or what I want, or what I'm thinking, or if I'm satisfied. I can just relax and enjoy the view for the first time since we departed.

Another burst of sea mist wafts over my head, causing me to chuckle.

"I don't see how you can do it."

I turn and find Seana standing right in the middle of the deck, where she's mostly stayed since we boarded the ship. I smirk at the disgusted look on her face.

"Sure you don't want to come enjoy the sunrise with me?"

"And get closer to the ocean than I have to?" Seana lets her stony gaze down long enough to shoot me a glare. I notice a few of the sailors staring strangely at us. I give them a warning glance and they go back to work. Seana glances over her shoulder to see what I'm looking at and her face disappears into its usual stony nothingness.

"I better make sure Princess Axellia is awake," she mutters in a perfectly formal voice before slipping back below deck. I heave a sigh and lean against the railing. I've been looking forward to getting Seana away from Father so she could be herself without any fear of retribution, but the slightest glance and she retreats back into her shell. I suppose I can't expect her to let all her cautions go at once, especially since several of the sailors have been less than kind to her, but it's still frustrating.

"Land ho!" I jump at the sound and rush to the other side of the deck. The distant peak of a mountain breaks the endless horizon.

"There it is, Prince Cai," the captain says as he comes up to my side and slaps me on the back. I flinch slightly as a portion of my breath flies out of me.

"Draga, home of the Dragons and the infamous Cristabel Academy," The captain continues, flourishing his hand towards the horizon.

"Looks..." I gaze back at the mountain points climbing over the horizon. "...small."

Perhaps it's the distance, but the mountains of Draga seem much smaller than the ones craddling the palace at home.

As well as greener.

"Maybe, but size isn't everything" the captain pats my back, gentler this time, and walks back to his post. I watch Draga grow closer, wind still whipping in my hair. I'm still stunned by just how green it is. There's not a spot of brown to mar the emerald peaks as they grow ever closer. Though it's too early to tell I'm beginning to think Draga must be free from the sharp thorns and cutting stones Durcardi is infamous for. It looks as soft as one of the emerald, velvet pillows on Mother's sofa.

As I admire the beauty of our soon-to-be home, Axellia comes up from below deck and trudges sleepily to my side. Seana has already twisted her hair into an up-do, but that can't hide the fact that she is only half awake.

"Good morning," I call to her.

"Eh," she grumbles back, leaning her elbow on the railing and setting her face in her palm. I scoot closer to her just in case she falls asleep and starts slipping over the edge.