Chapter Eight: The Merfolk Boy

It takes about an hour to make it out of the city and into the wooded hills. Vivianna ignored my request for silence, and is jabbering on and on about the history of the Draga, how it used to be a volcano, how the dragons brought all the magical animals here to be safe from...

...something, I must have zoned out during that tale. I gaze out the window at the sights around me, drawing them in my sketchbook as we go along as I try to block out Vivianna's ever growing voice.

The trees here aren't like the trees at home. These are plush, overflowing piles of vibrant greens, bubbling over on top of one another. Splashes of colorful flowers dot the sea of branches, and every now and then a bird, or rabbit, or doe would peer out of the forest surrounding the path.

In the top of an extremely tall tree, a large Thunderbird watches us go by.

Thunderbirds. Perhaps I'll gain one of those. That should be good enough to please Father.

Or maybe a Manticore? It's common, true, but more respectable than one of the horse-like familiars. The fact that Fredricks' familiar is a manticore should help too. He is one of Father's oldest and most trusted confidantes, so-

"We are now entering the Red Forest," Vivianna tells us in her giggly voice.

"Didn't we enter into this wood fifteen minutes ago?" I whisper to Axellia.

"Shush," she hisses, still trying to be polite. I go back to my sketching, adding some shading to the already outlined forest.

"Now, despite what you might think, this forest is not named for the way it turns red during the fall."

"You don't say?" I ask sarcastically.

"No, silly," Vivianna chuckles. I roll my eyes again. "It's named for the Red Curse, a horrible plague that..."

Vivianna continues on her little story as I completely ignore her and Axellia continues to punish herself by listening. Seana actually seems to be fascinated by the story. Good for her, I suppose.

We ride over the peak of the hills, finally reaching the top and I gasp. On the other side, in the middle of the hills, is a gigantic, water-filled crater. The lake is sprinkled with islands, one large island dominating the middle of the scattered landmasses. Sprouting from this larger isle is a massive, white cube of a building, surrounded on all sides by glimmering, marble pillars. About half of the smaller islands have a singular tower sprouting out of its middle. A network of bridges connect all the islands together into a web of white marble.

Cristabel Academy!

My heart races. I don't even mind Vivianna's giggling and squeaking anymore as we draw closer. As our descent down the hill begins I notice a makeshift bridge stretching from the shores of the lake to the main island. This bridge is unlike anything I've ever seen. It is made from platforms hitched to the backs of sea serpents who are lined in a neat row. I gulp as we draw closer.

I used to think Oris was huge, but he's probably only half the size of these beasts.

"...sea serpents are the longest living of the familiars, you know? Oldest one on record was over a thousand, but there be some older than that. Most cleave to one person in their life and then, after their holder dies, disappears into the depths of the ocean to live out the rest of their lives. A few have chosen to remain here in this lake for a few years, though. Serving as Cristabel's protectors!" Vivianna explains as my stomach begins to churn.

Soon I'll actually be there.

Soon I'll start learning how to actually run a country.

Soon I'll have a familiar.