Chapter Ten: The Feast

"Are you alright?" I ask Dezden as I climb the steps to the second floor of the main building.

"Ye', fine," Dezden answers, though he is walking in a very strange manner. His toes are turned in, as he slowly shuffles along, constantly tugging at his collar, his waistline, his sleeves.

He murmurs under his breath; "How am I supposed to get out of these pants if I grow my tail?"

I snicker. "I don't know. Humans typically don't have to worry about growing tails."

"True," Dezden nods before his eyes grow wide. "I mean! I didn't say anyt'ing. No, I not complainin'. Not complaining at all!"

I chuckle again as I step onto the third floor and we walk down the hall until we reach an engraved double door. The guards posted at either door open it for us to enter into the banquet hall. It's a circular room that has giant windows alternating between perfectly clear and shimmering stained glass. The only section of the wall not decked in glass is the door. Hanging from the ceiling are hundreds, maybe thousands of lanterns of all different sizes, shapes and styles. Some look new, but most appear to be old, or even ancient.

A giant marble statue of Queen Cristabel stands in the center of the room; a sword in one hand, a scroll in the other. A large gold and diamond tiara on her head just above her pointed ears, capturing the light of the lanterns and redirecting it down to us in a shimmering snowfall. I squint as I stare at her ever faint smile across her face, curious. There's something oddly familiar about her, but I can't put my finger on it. I walk closer towards it and nearly bump into the first of five ring-like tables that grow steadily smaller the closer they get to the center of the room. The smallest and most centered of them all is stacked with all kinds of food; towers of exotic fruits, stuffed swans and ducks, whole roasted pigs, mounds of pastries, and boats full of gravy and sauce. The space between the food and Cristabel's statue are various performers; dancers, acrobats, and fire eaters no doubt here to entertain us as we wait in line for our food.

"Wow," Dezden gasps, eyes wide and jaw open.

"Alright there, friend?" I ask.

"I am going to eat m'self sick," he sighs in awe at the table of food.

He looks absolutely in love, and I chuckle at him again as we walk further into the room. Dezden is still walking a little oddly because of the pants, but his itching has stopped because he's too distracted by all the sights.

"Who's your friend?"  

I turn and find Axellia, dressed in a green dress with those ridiculously puffed sleeves and ruffled skirt she and her noble friends like to wear, a string of pearls and emeralds around her head, over her curled and pinned up hair. I can barely make out Seana hiding behind her, not making eye contact with either me or "my friend."

"Nice to know you made it," I smile in reply to my sister. "This," I grab Dezden's shoulder to keep him from running off like a child at a fair. "Is my roommate, Dezden."

"Hm. Wha-?" Dezden snaps out of his trance. As he faces Axellia his eyes grow wide once more and his eyebrows raise.

It's not a reaction I'm unaccustomed to seeing. I'm well aware of how beautiful my sister is, as well as how great of a catch she'd be to any young man looking to advance himself in the social sphere. Despite my initial friendliness towards Dezden, I can't help but tense a little bit, ready to swoop in and defend my sister should he try anything. 

His awestruck expression fades quickly, though, and his usual warm smile returns. "Oh, hello, Mamala, my name is Dezden Ori."

He tries to bow, but he seems to still be unable to maneuver correctly in his new attire, and only manages to bend half-way down as he tugs and pulls his clothes awkwardly. Axellia bites her lip to keep herself from laughing. I feel myself relax. Dezden passed the sister test and I have nothing to worry about now.