Chapter Thirteen: Ruins

Legs.

"What?"

That hurts.

I loosen my grip on his neck and let my legs hang loose.

"Sorry."

You are forgiven.

I look about. I can only see a few small, flickering lights from the torches lighting the Academy, including the one peeking from the top of the tower where the teachers and Ardan are apparently still discussing what to do with me. The dragon flies around the academy a few times. From this height, I can get a better view of the Academy's layout. I see how the bridges that lead to the smaller buildings and towers on nine of the twenty-four smaller islands surround the main one. At the front of each island, near the base of the bridge, is a statue of a familiar. There is one for each of them: unicorn, pegasus, kelpie, manticore, gryphon, phoenix, thunderbird, sea serpent, and hydra. These must be where everyone goes to take their magic classes. I'm not really sure how that's going to work for me now.

The dragon flies around a bit more before slowly descending towards one of the smaller islands that doesn't have a bridge. I frown, curious, as he touches down and turns his neck, unceremoniously dumping me on the ground.

"Hey!" I shout as I hit the dirt shoulder first. "Ouch!"

You'll live.

I frown as I sit up, rubbing a sore spot forming on my right shoulder.

"Why are we here?" I ask.

Look there. The dragon nudges his head towards what looks like a large mass of vines and brush, though I can't really make it out in the dark.

"What?"

Look under there.

"I can't see," I say as I cross my arms, still peeved at how he just dropped me to the ground. "I left my torch."

You don't need it.

"Yes, I do. I'm not a dragon, I can't see in the dark. I need light."

Make it.

"Make it? What are you getting at, dragon?"

I'm not sure if dragons can roll their eyes, but I'm pretty sure that's what mine does.

Zahairas. He corrects before a nearby stump spontaneously bursts into a white flame, the same fire I saw in the cave earlier that night, illuminating the island. The heat is intense, but not as unbearable as before.

Humans! Zahairas grumbles as he begins slinking towards the edge of the island.

"Wait!" I shout as I stumble to my feet, panic seizing me. "Don't leave me!"

I won't. Look around.

I watch him, getting ready to bolt towards him and jump on his back if he tries to fly away, but he doesn't. He begins digging at something near the edge of the island, giant claws carving through the hardened ground like a knife through butter. I sigh and turn back to the massive pile of overgrowth. He's made it very clear who's in charge here, and though I'm not fond of the idea of digging through a bunch of vines in a strange place, I'm not about to get into a battle of strength and will with a dragon. Pulling Nicholai's dagger out I head towards the mass of vegetation and begin cutting away at the vines. 

The going is slow. 

The more vines I cut, the more vines I see. I'm not even sure what it is I'm looking for, if anything at all. How do I know this isn't some sick joke on Zahairas' part?