Chapter Eleven: The Red Forest

I open my eyes as I sit up and begin to stretch my arms. A single strand of sunlight breaks through the small window in between the two beds.

Wait, two beds? Last I checked I only had one in my bed-chamber. Where am I...

...oh, right. I'm at Cristabel Academy. I run a hand over my face, trying to wipe away the few remainders of sleep.

Selection day.

Shaking with excitement, I hop out of bed and run into the washroom, scream, and tumble over.

Dezden is asleep in the filled bathtub, his entire body submerged except for the end of his tale that is hanging over the edge. At hearing my scream he pops his head out of the water and begins looking around frantically.

"Wha'? Wha'? Wha' happened?"

"What are you doing?" I demand to know as I stand up, nursing my rather sore rump.

"Sleeping."

"In the bathtub?"

"I am merfolk, what'd you expect?" Dezden asks as he climbs over the edge, plopping himself on the floor.

"Well, a warning would have been nice," I cross my arms.

"Sorry, how about this-" Dezden begins dragging himself across the floor with his hands since his tale has not turned back into legs yet.

"-I am-" he grunts as he drags himself some more.

"-going to sleep in de tub-" he slips on the washroom rug and lands on his back.

"Oi!-because I get itchy if I sleep dry."

I shake my head and slip my arms under his. "Come on, let me help you," I drag him back to his bed and drop him onto it.

"Thank you, mamon," he grunts as he swings his tail onto the bed and begins rummaging through his bag.

"Itchy? Really? You get itchy if you don't sleep in water?" I ask as I go back into the washroom to wash my face.

"Oh, yeah. Merfolk skin dries out quickly if we spend too much time out of de water. Not a pretty sight."

I suppose I've never really thought about it. Dezden is the first merfolk I've ever met after all.

I pump water into a washbasin and begin shaving. As I'm finishing up and wiping a wet towel over my face, I hear a chorus of screams coming from the main room. I jump, run towards the door, and slip on the puddle Dezden left on the floor. I stand back up, rubbing my bruised rear for the second time this morning, and race to the bedroom.

Dezden, now with legs and dressed in only his unmentionables, is scrambling to get under the blankets of his bed, while Axellia stands horrified with her hands over her face.

"What are you doing?" I shout at her. "You're not supposed to be in here. This is a male's dormitory!"

"I wanted to make sure you were up, I don't want you to be late," Axellia answers, her eyes still covered by her hands.

"You're checking on me? You're the one that needs an army to wake her up every morning so you can come to ask me for answers on homework!"

"Can I ask for answers too?" Dezden asks as he peaks the top of his head out from under the blankets.

"Really? Now?" I grumble.

"Oh, right, sorry," Dezden's head disappeared back under the blankets.

I shake my head grumbling, as I guide, or push, Axellia out the door. "Just go away before you get any of us in trouble!" I close the door behind her and storm back to the washroom to get ready.