PETER'S POV Chapter 22

Gwen and I walk a few blocks to the nearest pizza place. As we walk inside, my nose is filled with the sweet, spicy aroma of herbs and tomato sauce. "Hi, table for two?" A young waiter asks us. "Yes please." I reply. "Alright, follow me please." Says the waiter and we follow him to a relatively small booth near the back of the resteraunt. Gwen sits on one side of the booth, I sit on the other. Once we've say down, I busy myself by looking around the resteraunt and noticing the small details. Our booth is wooden with the cushions a maroon color. There are unique glass wine bottles with light bulbs in them hanging to provide light. It's very warm in the room, so I decide to take off my black leather jacket. Underneath is my red t-shirt with the words MARVEL written across it in big white letters. Finally, I look at Gwen. She is staring at me with a confused expression, but I notice that she too has taken off her jacket and reveals a turquoise top underneath. "Peter, are you alright? You seem.....distracted." She says, still gazing at me with a look if wonder and confusion. "Oh. Yeah, just staring into space. In totally fine, nothing to worry about." I assure her, leaning across the table and gazing deep into her eyes to get the point across. She returns the intent gaze, making this into a game. I study her intricate green eyes, so beautiful. They look like fractured emeralds. She does the same and I can feel her eyes judging me, watching every move I make. I make a face at her and she laughs. "I love your eyes." I tell her, still staring. "Oh, no your eyes are really much cooler." She replies staring at me as well. "Nah, mine are just brown." I say. "Yeah, but their like chocolate brown. Like a deer. They're a warm brown, a sweet brown. Not the dull emotionless kind." She tells me. "Green, now that's a color that's not interesting." She says. "Are you kidding me? You're eyes look like fractured emeralds, clear, beautiful, and bright. They're soooo cool." I tell her, smiling at her. "Oh yeah?" She mocks me. "Yeah!" I insist. "Well then." She says, flashing me a bright, toothy smile. I return the smile and lean forward. She gets the hint and leans forward as well. We both begin to close our eyes as we close the distance. I'm about to brush my lips to hers when we're interrupted by a cough. We are startled and break apart. I glance up to see the waiter with his notepad and pen. "So, what would you like ma'am? He asks Gwen sweetly, acting as if he didn't just purposely interrupt us. "Oh, uh we'd like a medium pepperoni pizza and I'll have a side salad." She says, flustered. "Alright. Sure thing ma'am." The waiter says in a deep voice, obviously not his natural pitch, and a wink. "And you, sir?" He asks me in a tone that all too suggests we are not friends. "Like she said. I'll be sharing the pizza with her." I tell him. "Right. I'll be back in a few moments with your side salad honey." He says to Gwen and winks before turning and walking off to the kitchens. Gwen's face is very red, and I can't tell if it's from blushing or anger. I don't know about her, but I'm MAD. I pinch the bridge of my nose and close my eyes, taking deep breaths. I feel a small warm hand creep into mine under the table. Then do I open my eyes to see Gwen leaning across the table towards me, her hand in mine under the table. "Peter," she says in a soft voice, looking me in the eyes. "I don't like him. Trust me. If anything he makes me mad." I'm very glad to hear that. Gwen gets her side salad in the next few minutes. 15 minutes later we get out food and decide to go and eat it at Gwen's apartment. We don't want to deal with the waiter. We get up and leave, putting on our jackets to walk back to the apartment and eat our pizza.