Consequences

3rd Person POV
New York City

Bucky and Walker arrived just then at the back of the scene as reporters started calling out questions to Sam.

"What do you think those people are gonna call you? These labels, 'terrorists', 'refugee', 'thug', they're often used to get around the question, why?"
"Those settlements that happened 5 years ago, do you think it's fair for governments to have to support them?" Lacont, the Indian representative asked.
"Yes."
"And the people who reappeared only to find someone else living in their family home, they just end up homeless?" The American senator questioned. "Look, I get it. But you have no idea how complicated this situation is."
"You know what? You're right. And that's a good thing. We finally have a common struggle now. Think about that. For once, all the people who've been begging, and I mean, literally begging for you to feel how hard any given day is... now you know. How did it feel to be helpless? Now if you can remember what it was like to be helpless and face a force so powerful it could erase half the planet, you would know that you're about to have the exact same impact. This isn't about easy decisions, Senator."
"You just don't understand."
Sam scoffed "I'm a Black man carrying the Stars and Stripes. What don't I understand? Every time I pick this thing up, I know there are millions of people out there who are gonna hate me for it. Even now, here... I feel it. The states, the judgement, and there's nothing I can do to change it. Yet, I'm still here. No super serum, no blonde hair, or blue eyes. The only power I have is that I believe we can do better. We can't demand that people step up if we don't meet them halfway. Look, you control the banks. Shit, you can move borders! You can knock down a forest with an email, you can feed a million people with a phone call. But the question is, who's in the room with you when you're making those decisions? Hmm? Is it the people you're gonna impact? Or is it just more people like you? I mean, this girl died trying to stop you, and no one has stopped for one second to ask why. You've gotta do better, Senator. You've gotta step up. Because if you don't, the next Karli will. And you don't wanna see 2.0. People believed in her cause so much..."
⬇️

Sam and Walker nodded to each other before the former headed over to Bucky "Sorry, I was, uh, I was texting Star and so, all I heard was, um, 'a Black guy in stars and stripes'." Sam chuckled a bit before becoming serious "Bucky, we've got to talk about her."
"No."
"And what she did."
"No."
"That wasn't normal, that wasn't human."
"I know. She said she's going to explain."
"Fine, but it better be one hell of an explanation."
"Nice job, Cap."
"Thanks."

The boys saw Sharon trying to patch herself up "Sharon?" Sam called rushing over and Bucky moved over to cover her presence with his larger frame. "Blocking my light." Sharon complained.
"We gotta get you to a hospital." Sam stated.
"She's not gonna listen." Bucky told him looking around to check they weren't being watched and also to check Star wasn't near at all no matter how much he wished she was.
"Hey, it's not the worst thing that's happened to me all week." Sharon informed them.