Chapter Eight : Pitch Black

"Shri I never wanted much from you. But I am your girlfriend isn't it? Isn't it?" Prinita screamed again.

I nodded. I looked down, avoiding eye contact with her. I wasn't sure I could handle myself. The soft blue light of the Tv screen reflected on the broken glass pieces scattered on the floor

"Then why don't you pay attention to me until and unless I will be of some use to you" Her voice softened, her speech was under the influence of the alcohol, "Show some interest in my life too, advise me in decisions I want to take, ask me where I was when I come home late. Why don't you protect my dignity when I get catcalled, instead of walking away acting like you didn't notice? I want you to compliment me when I dress up for you and not just through your writings, I want you to show me off but not through these cheap stunts to make your book sell more. I respect the freedom you give me Shri, I really do but the extent to which you do just makes me feel that you are taking me for granted"

I stayed silent. She was drunk but her words were the one she was trying to hide for long or perhaps too afraid to share considering how I reacted that night. But the decision of giving her space just backfired. That wasn't how it was supposed to go.

"Am I just someone for you to use and throw away?" She asked. Her speech was slurred, her hand tightly holding the corner of the couch.

"Pri, you had one too many drinks tonight, lets please go to bed tonight?" I requested her.

"I won't. I won't. And what will you do? Abuse me again when I don't agree with you?" She said and tried to get up.

She couldn't and instead fell back on the couch. I tried to catch her but she yanked my hand, as if she was disgusted by my touch.

She tried again and succeeded, walking a few steps and then finally losing her balance. She tried to hold something concrete but just caught air. She fell on the floor, almost passing out from the alcohol. I ran to her and checked if she was hurt, there were no signs and so I picked her up.

She protested against my touch again, telling me to leave her in her trailing drunk voice, but it was too weak. I carried her to the bed and let her sleep on her side. Tucked her in a warm duvet and put off the lights. The big window on the side let the moonlight into the room and I realized that even in her worst, she looked beautiful to me.

I returned to the living room and slumped in the couch. I couldn't wrap my head around what was happening. I tried remembering things before that night but there was nothing, I was almost sure that I am losing my memories.

Suddenly a notification ring chimed, it was of Prinita's phone that was on the table. It was a message. If it was before what happened tonight, I would have never cared about it but for some reason I felt the sudden urge to check what it was.

So, I picked up the phone and tapped on it, there was no lock. Perhaps the thought of locking her phone never crossed her mind, considering my nature. It was a text message; the name of the sender was saved with just a blue heart.

"You up baby?" the message said.

I felt my blood rushing to my face; for a moment I froze but then I started scrolling and everything started to unfold. The whole string of messages was almost never ending. Prinita was having an affair behind my back and gathering from some of the texts I understood it was because I didn't take enough care of her, because I took her for granted, or at least that what she was claiming.

My hand trembled, my ears became hot, I wanted to end that guy's life but then it subsided, the anger wore off and the feeling of betrayal seeped in. Even in my worst nightmare, I didn't imagine Prinita would betray me.