Chapter Twenty-three: Caffeine

I often wondered about religion, about which god to follow. I read quite a few holy scriptures but no particular religion pulled me. But at the same time, I was a believer that everything that happens around us is being looked upon by some higher power, something above is pulling the strings for every good and bad in this world. I believed that the world is just a big web of people and someone is in the center watching it all. But on this web, there are a few strings that may seem very distant but can still have a common point.

I didn't think I would witness something like that in my life, not until I saw the man walking inside the café. He was with two other people, one of them I recognized from the news. The man walked in and searched for someone. One of the café workers, Maggie, walked to them and asked them to sit down.

The person I recognized from the news said something to Maggie in a low voice, as the other man and the unknown person got settled at a table. The person talking to Maggie was the editor in one of the biggest publishing houses in the country.

Maggie offered them a menu and walked to the counter.

"They were asking for the manager" She said

"Yeah, the meeting" I said, "Also can you let Katie to serve the table?"

She was more than happy to let it. It was an open secret in the café that Katie has a thing for Sharan so the whole café knowing the plan to help Sharan was not a far-fetched thing.

I finished arranging the chocolate pastries and walked out of the counter. Maggie took over it and I saw Katie rushing to the table with glasses of water.

"Hello, I am Shritabha, the manager here" I said to the table.

The editor extended his hand and gestured me to have a sit. They ordered a round of coffee, Katie took the order and went to the kitchen.

"Yes so Mr. Shritabha, let me introduce ourselves" The editor said, "I am Vikas, editor in chief of Walhe Publishers, this is my assistant Patrick and this is our biggest bestselling author..."

"Mr. Ayush Arora. The biggest name in today's novel market. Best selling author of 16 novels and soon to be person of the year" I completed the rest.

The man smiled a bit. I extended my hand and shook his hands.

"How can I be helpful to you?" I asked.

"Yes. Mr. Arora is launching his new book this valentine's day. And this book is based on a café, so we were planning to launch the book here because it's one of the last few cafés which is blooming without the help of artificial receptionists or robotic waiters. We wanted a vintage look and your café suited the best" Mr. Vikas explained.

"Well its is my pleasure to host such a big author's book launch" I said, smiling from ear to ear.

The meeting went on for another couple of minutes as we finalized the cost and other managemental details. I gave them the contact number of Sharan, to finalize the smaller details about the event. It was within 3 days so the preparations were supposed to be completed fast.

Before leaving the café, I requested the author to give me an autograph which he immediately agreed to. All three of them left with pastries for their family.

Sharan came another hour later and immediately went to the kitchen. He listed the new supplies and immediately went on icing the cakes. I grabbed two cups of coffee and went to him.

"Here" I offered a cup.

He took a small sip after taking the cup, "Your meeting ended"

"Yes" I replied, "I accepted the offer, after all not everyday a bestselling author comes to your café"