Trepidation

The sheets are surprisingly soft around my sluggish limbs. I peek my eyes open slowly and uncertain, tying to lift my arm to rub the fuzziness from my eyes. I no longer feel denim encasing my legs, instead they lay bare in between the sheets. My shirt has also been switched for a cream colored sweater. I throw the blanket off of myself, standing on jelly-like legs I wander unsteadily to the bright window.

Am I the first one or are there others? Have you killed and buried them somewhere out here in the hard, hot sand? Will I be next?

How could you be so evil? How could I be so stupid? Why didn't I follow you? Why was I so willing until I figured out I'd never return?

You didn't look like someone that would steal me and hide me way from the world to keep as your pet. You looked dangerous and mysterious in the best ways. I just wanted to know you, I just wanted to live a little and now I'm going to die some violet horrific way.

I hate you. I want to die.

But not by your hand. I want to go on my own accord. I want to be in control. I just woke up and I'm already making myself crazy with accusations and assumptions.

I wonder where you are.

Sharpening your knives, perhaps.

My mind whirls with ways to escape. Wait until your gone to sleep and make a run for it, or should I explore first? Spend a few days sneaking out and learning different routes. Based on the window in this room all that surrounds us is desert sand and rock. Besides, surely you'd wake up. Maybe I'd kill you before you killed me. It's not like anyone would find you, but then I would definitely die with no sense of direction I can't pinpoint where we are without you.

I tremble at the thought of wandering around in the blistering sun all day and the chilling night. I'd definitely die out there...but maybe that would be better than dying in here.

I pace the small room, the twin sized bed I just pulled myself from sits in the center, mocking me with faux comfort.

A knock on the closed door turns my boiling blood cold. I'm not longer fuming, no longer confident in my escape plan. Instead I'm cowering near the window, shaking and staring at the door with wide eyes.

You enter slowly, probably fearing my reaction. You hold up your hands as if you're surrendering, some sort of trick to make me trust you most likely.

"Do you want me to explain now?" You ask, I remain silent and still. Sighing you move closer and I press myself firmly against the wall, pinching my changed clothes between my fingers with one question in mind.

Did you...?

You seem to understand without me actually having to ask.

"I didn't rape you or anything..." Your voice is quiet, as if you're as insecure as I am. You seem like you haven't slept in days.

"You won't let me go?" I croak, you shake your head once. "Then there's nothing to explain."

You cock your eyebrow making the piercing glint in the low light. "Nothing, huh? Not even why you're here or how we have running water and electricity? You don't want to know how we have a fully functional house?"

"We don't have anything!" I snap, making you and me cringe.

Sighing once again you turn to leave, pausing briefly at the threshold. "Food will be ready soon, I can bring it in here if you'd like."

"Not hungry." I whisper, hoping you'll just leave.

You don't.

"You should eat something---"