Chapter - 20

Words: 3168

   After stepping outside the city, it felt like walking into a different world. 

  Crossroads divided into small towns with minimal populations. More trees and less houses. Then came the rural areas—narrow roads, past fields shredded to flinders. And the air was perfumed with the beautiful flowers of the street side gardens. Tranquility, serenity and peace stretching out the whole land. Infinity stars in the night sky, moon so big and shiny, like an oil painting inside deep, dark blue. 

  Jungkook missed all of these. 

  His body, however, was in pain and weak because of all the torture he got in the prison, he didn't stop, walked avidly throughout the way with Yoongi, Hoseok and Suho. 

  Around ten in the night, when they entered the village compound of where Suho lived, he observed half circling an open yard, dressing in simple clothes, a multitude of people gathered there for some reason. What surprised him more, each and every eye was at him, with a mixture of curiosity, sympathy as well as admiration.

  "King Jungkook." He heard them whispering with each other before they became silent. Bowed to him with marked seriousness. 

  "Your majesty,"

  Your majesty? 

  With a surprised frown Jungkook saw a gray haired alpha, wearing a thick golden chain in  his neck, came forward and stopped a few steps short of his. He was almost as tall as him, tanned, his bare arms well muscled. But the visible wrinkles  around his eyes and forehead, made him look much older. 

  After looking at his profile for a good couple of seconds, a small smile appeared on his thick lips. He said, "You look more handsome than your father, the great king Jeon Jaewook."

  Was he looking handsome in this broken state? Jungkook thought he must be dreaming. His skin was dirty, mud coated, several bruises decorating his features. Hair disheveled, even his shoes were torn. Then how—

  Jungkook bowed. And  asked, "Do you know me?"

  "Yes." The old alpha's eyes brightened, "Suho told us everything about you. Otherwise why are all these people, leaving their household chores, gathering here to see you?"

  But he was not a king. Not yet. 

  Jungkook's gaze averted to the crowd. Spending all these days in a very lavish and very imposing display of majestic splendor, his mind needed this simple refreshment. 

  He found Kai, Baekhyun and Seojoon there, in clean dresses. They'd reached an hour ago. They smiled at him, their eyes lighting up with enthusiasm and relief. He returned the smile. 

  "I am Maru," The old alpha spoke again, "The head alpha of this village. I can't describe how much I am elated to find you alive. We all knew the crown prince was killed that night with his parents. It was declared by taejoo himself."

  "And we had come to know later that he'd kept the prince alive all these years and made him a mine slave when he turned eighteen." Suho informed the head alpha. 

  "What a despicable person!" Maru frowned bitterly. 

  "It was not true either way." Yoongi said this time.  He was standing beside Jungkook. "He thought this man Hoseok was the real prince, and held him captive for his secret experiment. Where the real prince was replaced and taken out of the palace that night by Hoseok's mother. He was unaware of it."

  Hoseok just smiled looking down. It was true though, he was used as an experiment. How fake his life could be. If there were no Jungkook, and he were the real prince, he would forever be the best subject for Taejoo's experiments.