Chapter - 24

Words: 3977

  The armament was in full swing inside and outside the palace. 

  The newly recruited soldiers were maneuvering with swords and arrows, older ones were sharpening their arms while giving them instructions. Milk and high protein food was served to make the soldiers stronger than their opponents, though they had been informed the opponents weren't even a quarter of their whole army, but that didn't let the excitement die. The marrow inside their bones were dancing with each beat of war drums bracing their eardrums. 

  There was a great insanity in the war. A thrill, a flame of youth. 

  Not only the palace and the soldiers, the grim images of the war have become diluted in the minds of the citizens outside. And of course when war was between werewolves and the humans it was enough to make people incredibly curious. 

  Gossip busted out like a volcano. 'With the help of commoners, the humans had dared to go against the king', which was totally a fresh topic to discuss. People didn't care whether the battle was between goodness or unrighteous, or what the outcome would be, they only supported the powerful. 

  Nobody wants to lose, not even in a bet. 

  The spies from both sides were keeping eyes on the battlefield since the very morning. Whether the other parties were trying to do some tricks, or had planted spikes on the ground. They were examining thoroughly. 

  As the sun rose up, brightened the area, more people gathered up. Some soldiers sprinted toward the river's edge, half naked, and with a wild and desperate leap, hopped onto the river. The scorching heat of the midday sun washed away from their skin as soon as the cold soothing water touched their bare arms. Some of them tried fishing with their hands to show off their talent while the others just swam along with the shore. 

  Barbeque arranged to grill the meat, tents were there for shade. Like they had arrived for an outdoor feast, not for the battle. 

  In the village, not far from the city, there was an extensive silence inclined through the area. Preparation of war was going on full phase, but the arrangements were minimal. There wasn't any drill or military parade, or the bazaar of various kinds of foods and fruits, still people were complying. They were happy with the little treatment they were getting. 

  Jungkook had told them not to go hard on the training when they were practicing sword fighting in the early morning. He had observed the humans were more comfortable with bamboo sticks, axes, nunchaku and lancea, their everyday used things; dealing with heavy metal swords was quite difficult and new for them.

  It was understandable. They were just common people. Not trained soldiers. They were fighting to survive, not for the salary. 

  They had tons of arms that they brought from the palace. And firearms like small pistols to long-barrelled rifles. They would be useful if Jungkook and the villagers knew how to use them properly. 

  Taehyung was the only one who knew as he was trained to use them in his teenage years. He taught Jungkook the basic operation procedures and safety measures of a gun. How to squeeze the trigger without moving hands and reload kartoos. Jungkook and his friends had been practicing since the morning. 

  The kartoos was different from an arrow, smaller, but once it departed from the hands, it could kill. The impact was the same but obvious. Jungkook was fascinated by this man-made machine. It worked smooth like butter. He wished if he could use more weapons like this in this war, but when rethought about its deadlines, he decided not to use it frequently.