Chapter - 18

Words: 4285

  Blinking his eyes open in the morning, the first thing Hoseok saw was an unknown bird chirping something sweet in its squeaky voice, small claws holding the bamboo beams of the round window, through where the morning sunlight was peeping in.

  It was morning again. One more fresh morning of his freedom. He bit his lip. Confirmed he was not dreaming.

  Rubbing his eyes free from sleep, he looked around. Found himself alone in the room. Well not totally; the bird hadn't left yet.

  He wondered where the owner of this hut could be, seeing his soft face and tender voice, holding his little finger in his fist, last night  he felt so secured that he fell asleep immediately after closing his eyes. And dreamt a beautiful dream.

  All these years that he spent inside the prison, had already become a part of his life. He accepted it, more like endured it. Cells and guards, chains and lashes were his world. And the name tag: Prince. Which was more like a curse that he carried throughout his childhood. At one point he refused to believe there could be any good left for him. But it was all the past.

  Now that he knew he didn't have to carry the burden anymore. Now that he tasted the sweetness of freedom. He'd started to believe, maybe, the Almighty wasn't totally cruel to him.

  Shaking his thoughts he came out of that little hut. The village ladies who were busy with their morning chores, greeted him 'good morning' with a homely smile. Some alpha and beta males gathered to practice martial arts in an open field. Behind the field there was a river, the same river that he saw in Seoul, streaming from North to South. Little pups were busy playing some games under a big cherry blossom tree. Hoseok didn't know what they were playing. He never knew. Only their bright eyes and giggles made his heart bleat with joy.

  "Seems like you slept well last night." Seeing him smiling freely, Suho couldn't hold back commenting. Though he knew the answer as he saw the peaceful smile on his dainty lips when he left him in the dawn.

  Glancing at him, Hoseok shut his mouth. But the smile hadn't left his eyes. "Ah, yes." Then his gaze fell on the tray this beta was holding. In two separate bowls freshly made rice and some white tofu soup arranged for breakfast. Kimchi was the side dish. Simple yet delicious. His eyes traveled back to his eyes, "You made all this?"

  "No. My aunt did. Kai's mom." Said Subo. "Let us go and eat." He eyed the hut and signed him to get in.

  Hoseok wanted to stay there a bit longer. Small and congested places only brought back his memories from the prison. Still he wasn't willing to refuse food and Suho, who had been taking care of him so well. From lending him his own clothes, buying him new shoes to introducing him as his close friend to the villagers. Who would do all these just for a stranger? Hoseok was delighted.

  "Shouldn't we go back and help Jungkook in his work?" Asked Hoseok after gulping a spoon full of rice.

  The time was running way too fast. Just a couple of days left for the full moon. Sitting around a low table, on flat cushions, both of the betas were discussing what they should do about it. Most of the time Hoseok was speaking, and the other one was nodding while chewing food.

  This time he spoke.  "Yeah we must do something. Wasting time here idly won't make things easier for them."

  "Can't we go through the secret passage to check if everything there is alright?" Asked Hoseok.

  Sighing, Suho gazed at him. "The army is searching for you everywhere. That would be a big risk. You stay here. I shall go."

  "But I wanted to help my friend."