Chapter - 28

Words: 4530

  Jungkook had his hands placed on the top of the thick layer of soil, into which he had buried his beta mother not long ago. The soil was moist, because of the mountain rain that might have occurred last night. The smell of the mud was strong, though he could feel the warmth of the celestial soul that was lying beneath. 

  "Mother," He said in a soft, caring voice like he used to call her before, "There was not a single day I didn't remember you. You were always with me when I stumbled, or on the verge of losing my mind.  Your teachings helped me win the battle. Though, your last words are still knifing inside me. I have defeated Taejoo. But I didn't conclude what you've told me."

  Jungkook sighed, long and deep. A pang of guilt associated with agony filled his chest. 

  His severe dark blue royal clothing fitted him finely, covering him from toe to neck, and was long sleeved to his wrists, with no openings in the front. The warm light of the morning sun did nothing to soften the effect.

  According to the Royal custom, before coronation he had to abide by some rules. Wearing a hanbok was one of them. He left the palace at midnight, with his friend Hoseok, without many people knowing. Deliberately he thought of meeting his mother before performing the immaculate rituals, which his mother had dreamed of ever since she saved his life. 

  Hoseok extended an arm, and put his hand on Jungkook’s shoulder when he saw crystal tears in his eyes. Jungkook instantly felt a surge of warmth coming from where their bodies connected. Feeling better to say the next words to their mother,

  "I have tried to accept life as it comes, rather than to keep seeking revenge." The confession came naturally, as the alpha knew, his mother would surely forgive him. "I have not killed Taejoo, but have arranged something to make him think about his wrongdoings everyday. By tormenting him both physically and mentally. Until he dies. I haven't killed his son, the descendant of the Kim family, as you had told me. Because," Though Jungkook was feeling guilty, a shy blush covered his cheeks, ''He is the sweetest person I have ever met. Also, the moon goddess has chosen him as my mate."

  There was chilly wind blowing through the forest, shivering the leaves of the giant trees surrounding them. Hoseok slowly lowered his head and kissed the gravestone. 

  "Mother, I don't know what to say to you." Hoseok said softly, "I can't even say thank you for this or that, or begging for a pardon just like my friend did. It is even not possible for me to recall your face. But I can presume, you must be the most beautiful woman in this world." 

  Gently, Jungkook wiped the extra mud that coated the uneven gravestone due to abandonment. Said, "She had the most beautiful soul. It would be great if you could meet her."

  Hoseok hummed. He asked so many questions about his mother on the way riding here with Jungkook. Jungkook defined her as the eternal mother figure, just like Hoseok had imagined. 

  From childhood Hoseok only knew the darkness of the  world and the cruelty of the people in it. He  knew every day that he was living was borrowed time. He could be killed any moment. But the thought of spending his rest of the life in this way, feared him the most. 

  But in his dreams, he used to see goodness within a faceless female grace, embracing him like securing him from all evil and darkness. 

  'Mother'—was just a beautiful dream to him. 

  "Maybe I'm too old for this, maybe too much time has gone by," Hoseok didn’t notice his voice crack. On his back—the cold sweat of pain formed like duedropes. Resting his forehead on her grave, he wept for the first time. "All l want your soft fingers on my head, with the soft voice saying, 'Hoseok-ah, my son, do you want me to feed you?' Or 'Let me wash your hair, it has become dirty'. I want to turn the time and want to see you again. And again. To memorize your face."