Chapter 19

~Nichole~

As soon as I walked into his room, my eyes connected with Zack's. He smiled at me and I smiled too.

I walked to his side and slipped into the chair next to his bed.

"So how's Lexi?" Zack asked.

I laughed, "What?"

"I told Lexi that you were asking if she was okay but she wouldn't believe me," I explained.

He smiled, "I still can't believe she shot me."

"I still can't believe you were stupid enough to put your hand on her shoulder."

He let out a small chuckle, "Me either."

"She feels like she needs to be punished for shooting you," I said.

"What? Why?" Zack asked.

"Well, I do believe it's because her first foster mother made her stab her foster dad, and she didn't get punished for that, so I think she feels like she keeps getting off easily."

"Wow, how much can one girl take?"

"I have no idea."

~Lexi~

I woke at about 6 am, and got changed into a pair of running shorts and a tank. I tossed my hair up into a tight bun and went out into the living room.

I wrote a note, telling my foster parents that I was going out for a run.

I signed my name and stepped outside, pulling my bangs back with my headband.

After my eyes were open I noticed a ton of people with video cameras and people taking pictures of me.

They were all shouting questions to me and I had to hold my hand over my eyes from all the flashes.

I quickly sprinted behind the house and crossed the river.

I began my usual run route and ran to the center of town. People began to notice who I was and started avoiding me.

I was surprised, usually people would be crowding around me. But I guess after you shoot a cop you get a bad reputation.

~Nichole~

After I visited Zack, I drove to my house.

Its was a three bedroom, two bathroom cottage on the edge of town. When I opened the door, Naomi and Jack, my Golden Retrievers, came running.

Naomi, the adult, jumped up on me and Jack, the puppy, ran around my feet.

I laughed, "Naomi! Down!"

Once I finally got the door closed I locked it, and walked over to the kitchen and pulled out the dog food from under the sink.

I filled their food bowls then their water. After that I grabbed some noodles from the pantry to cook some elbows noodles.

I started the stove and set water on it to boil.

I walked away from it and went to go take a quick shower.

As soon as I stepped out and wrapped a towel around myself, I went and poured the noodles into the water that was now boiling.

I went into my bedroom and slipped into my fuzzy ocean pajama shorts and into its matching top.

I pulled on my crotched slippers and slid down my hallway. Gosh, I love hardwood floors so much.

I looked up at the mantle above my fireplace. All my picture of Lucas, Sylvia and I.