Chapter 9

~Nichole~

I went outside to meet up with my team who came after we discovered Lexi had been at the house.

"What happened to her?" Quirk asked.

"She's fast, and I mean, extremely fast," I replied.

Craig jogged over to us and said, "Well, she is star of the track team, and the youngest National Champion to ever win gold."

"So, she's under a lot of stress, was kidnapped, then held hostage with a knife. There's no telling where she's going," I said.

Chloe spoke into his headset from the truck that holds all of our research equipment and said, "We got an address for Lexi's old foster parents."

"On it," I wanted to check them out and hear her story.

Chloe listed off the address and my run to my car faltered, "That's a prison."

Craig closed his eyes and took deep breath, "Well that just complicated things a whole lot more."

"What are they in for?" Quirk asked Chloe.

"The father is in for... attempted rape, and the mother... attempted murder."

"On the father?" Craig asked.

"Yeah, and apparently Lexi walked right in when she stabbed him."

Everything got quiet until Craig's phone rang. He picked it up and got a worried expression. "Thanks for calling," he hung up and walked back over to us.

We all looked at him and when he got to us he said, "We need to find Lexi, Jason got out."

"How?"

"No one knows, but you need to get to Lexi's old house and her parents. Find any clues as to where she might be going."

I ran back to my car, started it up, and drove to Lexi's old house. (I got the directions from Chloe and then it got fed into my GPS)

Quirk was the one going to the jail to talk with her foster parents. He was better at those kind of situations.

Once I got there, I walked right in; no one had been to it since the stabbing, so I didn't have to worry about anything being out of place. I had also picked up the file on the case and the pictures taken at the time of the crime.

As I took out the pictures, I matched them up with where it happened. Apparently, Lexi had gotten home early from track practice because the sprinklers had gone off and they couldn't run. When she walked in the door, she saw it, dropped her bag that spilled books and papers everywhere, and called 911.

When they arrived her mom was knocked unconscious and she had stopped her dad's bleeding. She had a cut on her wrist, and bruises forming on her arms. She wouldn't talk to anyone about what happened, but her mother confessed to the stabbing, and the father to the attempted rape.

The rape victim had fled the scene but came in later that day and they were arrested. I went through the rest of the file and drove back to headquarters. It was sad but you need to get used to these things in order to have this job.

When I got back I saw that Quirk was just pulling in too. "Hey Quirk!" I waved him over and I told him about the file. "Whoa, that must have been horrible."

"Yeah, anyway, what did you get about the parents?"

"Wait until we're inside, I don't want to repeat myself more than needed."

I just nodded and we rushed inside.

Once we got there I told them my story and Quirk launched into his, "So once I got there I explained the situation to the mother, since the father refused to talk to me. She freaked out and I told her that I needed to know what happened that night."

"She pretty much said the exact same thing as Nicki said, except one thing. She told me that she was so upset, she couldn't think clearly. When Lexi had come into the room, she became mad at her to. She made Lexi take the knife and stab her father."

"That's why she wanted to be punished for shooting Zack, because she never got punished for stabbing her dad."

"But she didn't stab her dad."

"No, but it felt like it," I sighed, "Let's find this girl before Jason does."

Everyone agreed and we went on patrol to find her. We got reports saying that she was seen running to the top of the school. We all drove there but I was the closest so I got there first.

I waited for the rest of my team when I heard screaming and saw pointing. Lexi was on the roof of the school, looking over the edge. Her expression was freaked out, she looked at the car across the street and her face became serious.